• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need some upgrading advice

lepard2k1

Gawd
Joined
Jul 28, 2004
Messages
540
I will be upgrading my processor today (to a Q9400) and want to upgrade my video card at the same time. What would you guys recommend?

I tend to play GTA4 often, Crysis, MLB2k9, COD4 MW2, etc. at 1600x900 resolution.

I would prefer a video card with DVI->HDMI audio out like my current card as I use the second connector to extend/duplicate to my TV.
Would 1GB be recommended?

Other specs are in my sig.
 
An hd 4890 will be sufficient for now. If you want a little more future proofing, see if you can get your hands on a 5850
 
4890 or GTX260. I'd say gtx275 but those are still a bit pricey. If you can find one for a decent price, go for it. 5850 is the most expensive though, and it's not going to yield that much of a difference over a 4890.
 
going to a stock Q9400 will actually be slower in most games than your E8400. GTA4 will certainly use all four cores but it really needs an i7 to shine anyway. besides GTA4 you should have zero problems playing games with your current setup at 1600x900. can the power supply in that Shuttle even handle a quad and faster card?
 
Grab another 4850 and crossfire if you can.

Otherwise since you didn't specify a budget I would say look for a 5850 (very hard to find and usually jacked up prices) or like above posters said, find a 4890 / GTX260.
 
Grab another 4850 and crossfire if you can.

Otherwise since you didn't specify a budget I would say look for a 5850 (very hard to find and usually jacked up prices) or like above posters said, find a 4890 / GTX260.
am I the only one who is actually looking at what form factor he is using? I doubt a 5850 or 4850 crossfire setup would even work in that small case.
 
Back
Top