Need some Sound Card Help

jhors2

n00b
Joined
Dec 18, 2008
Messages
3
Okay so I wanted to get the Asus Xonar Essence STX when it came out because it boasts some of the best sound quality available in a sound card to date, yet I just recently purchased a HTIB setup that i was planning on upgrading to some new Polk speakers and such next summer when I free up some cash....the essence only allows surround sound output over SPDIF.....I do have some good quality headphones which is obviously what this sound card is marketed to, and I would be willing to purchase some amazing Headphones instead of new speakers for the home theater setup. Which do you guys prefer for GOOD listening when pertaining to music and stuff?? Some quality headphones? such as the Denon AH-D5000 or do you guys like to listen to your music through some full speakers?? If I didn't get the essence I would get the Xonar D2X instead and output analog to my receiver now....thanks for any help.
 
If you have the space and no neighbors get a nice Home Theatre hifi with a decent subwoofer.
Choose parts that audiophiles prefer in your price range and you cant go wrong.
There is a lot you can do wrong with hifi so be sure to get good info.

Ebay is brilliant for getting second hand speakers.
Sometimes you have to get lucky that anything good in your price range is available but keep looking.
There are some fantastic sounding older speakers.

Buy a recentish amp though as 1080p Video and good scaling support is only just making its way in and some older kit isnt what you would hope for with 1080p.
Also, the newer kit is more likely to support Blu Ray HD audio codecs (just LPCM support should be enough).
Be sure to get one that is known for its sound quality and the features you need.
Yamaha, Denon and Onkyo (and others) have some pretty good stuff.

I'm using a new amp with pretty old speakers and a new sub.
Amp is new Onkyo TX-SR875, this model runs pretty hot so I have a fan on top.
http://www.techradar.com/products/a...-audio/receivers/onkyo-tx-sr875-271327/review
http://whathifi.com/Review/Onkyo-TX-SR875/
Speakers are Mission 754 front (11 years old), Acoustic Energy Aegis centre and surround (4 years old), from Ebay
Subwoofer, new BK Monolith (can only order from the UK so postage might be a killer as it weighs 42Kg!).
http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/monolith-df.htm


Take a look at the Onkyo TX-SR 606 if you want a fantastic budget AV amp.
http://hometheatermag.com/receivers/808onk/
 
Thanks for the help!! I went with the Xonar D2X and I'm looking through all the links that you gave me to move on from there.
 
Back
Top