Need some quick help with SATA

Spartan611

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 7, 2006
Messages
166
Ok guys I need some quick help with SATA. I have a problem. First I have to Dual Boot Vista and XP and to do that I need another HDD. I have 2 SATA HDD's already (1 Caviar 320gb and 1 Raptor 74gb) and 2 SATA optical drives (both are a Plextor 755SA). Let me explain my problem. I have the Raptor and 1 of my optical drives set up as boot drives. I have an Asus P5B-Deluxe/Wifi Edition motherboard. Problem with that is I have 4 red, 2 black SATA slots. The reds are slaves and the blacks are masters. My question is this: How do I add another Master SATA slot? And if I can't do that, how do I make a slave a Master? Is there a way? Cus I need to make the drive I am going to buy a boot as well but not a primary boot. I want to Dual Boot Vista and XP and make the Vista the primary boot. But I need the XP boot cus I want to play games that are currently not compatible with Vista. What about adding a PCI SATA card, would that allow me to have another Master or no? Thanks guys in advance for all the help, I really appreciate it.
 
SATA does not have a master or a slave. There's one drive per channel, unless you are using port multipliers. The difference in color for your SATA ports likely indicate which controller they are connected to. Theoretically you should be able to boot from any of our SATA ports, provided that you set the boot order correctly.
 
Back
Top