D
Deleted member 88227
Guest
I picked up an old build from a friend, he was in need of some money so I bought his old rig from him and now... I want to upgrade it. 
Though I don't want to go too far (money wise) which is why I am here asking for some advice. I'm just gonna pay attention to sales here and on ebay, for something in the price range that I happen to like at the time. However, I have no idea what's better than a Q8200 on the LGA 775 platform so I am asking for some help.
This is my list, which I think is better in order. Please correct.
Q8200
Q6700
Q8300
Q8400 (Plus the S version) [Whatever the S means, I see it frequently)
Q9300
Q9400 (Plus the S version)
Q9450
Q9500
Q9505 (This and the Q9500 seem to be about the same?)
Q9550 (Same as above, but with more L2 cache...how much is gained? Same with the S version.)
Q9650
Intel Core 2 Extremes.... I have no idea how they weigh in on the equation. I'm assuming the Extremes have unlocked multipliers so they are easier to over clock, which means a QX6700 is basically a Q6700 but with an unlocked multiplier so it can be over clocked easier? However, the rest of the QX processors don't seem to make up as easily. What's the equivalent QS6800? Is this just one notch above the Q6700, but with an unlocked multi as well? Seems logical. Which means, in terms of non over clocking it will be placed around the Q8300/Q8400 on the list? (If over clocking isn't considered in the equation) Which would put the QX6850 a littler better than the QX6800? QX9650 is an unlocked Q9650?
I was just looking through the list of supported processors for my main board, these are the CPUs that seem to be upgrades from the Q8200, so I just want to confirm that. Then I can begin browsing/lurking for someone wanting to get rid of one for the cheap, cheap.
Though I don't want to go too far (money wise) which is why I am here asking for some advice. I'm just gonna pay attention to sales here and on ebay, for something in the price range that I happen to like at the time. However, I have no idea what's better than a Q8200 on the LGA 775 platform so I am asking for some help.
This is my list, which I think is better in order. Please correct.
Q8200
Q6700
Q8300
Q8400 (Plus the S version) [Whatever the S means, I see it frequently)
Q9300
Q9400 (Plus the S version)
Q9450
Q9500
Q9505 (This and the Q9500 seem to be about the same?)
Q9550 (Same as above, but with more L2 cache...how much is gained? Same with the S version.)
Q9650
Intel Core 2 Extremes.... I have no idea how they weigh in on the equation. I'm assuming the Extremes have unlocked multipliers so they are easier to over clock, which means a QX6700 is basically a Q6700 but with an unlocked multiplier so it can be over clocked easier? However, the rest of the QX processors don't seem to make up as easily. What's the equivalent QS6800? Is this just one notch above the Q6700, but with an unlocked multi as well? Seems logical. Which means, in terms of non over clocking it will be placed around the Q8300/Q8400 on the list? (If over clocking isn't considered in the equation) Which would put the QX6850 a littler better than the QX6800? QX9650 is an unlocked Q9650?
I was just looking through the list of supported processors for my main board, these are the CPUs that seem to be upgrades from the Q8200, so I just want to confirm that. Then I can begin browsing/lurking for someone wanting to get rid of one for the cheap, cheap.