Need some input

buttmanx

n00b
I just build a new computer:

ABIT AV8 3rd-Eye
AMD 3000+ Venice
1GB Corsair PC3200

I know its a VIA Chip but if i go with NForce4 I have to buy a new pci express video card. I can't seem to overclock this damn thing pass 2.2GHz. Now I'm sure this thing can do 2.4 like nothing. Most people can get 2.7GHz. But if I go anywhere above 2.2, game will lock-up at the exact spot everytime especially HL2....3Dmark does this also.

I can OC this thing to 2.6GHz with prime95 stable no errors. Memtest is also stable (i test with memtest and prime95 for a VERY long time). The CPU temp is nice and cool around 45C. My PSU is also adequate so I have no idea why this thing crap out on me when i'm loading up certain games or lock-up during a certain spot in a game. Any tips/suggestion is appreciated.

The reason this is probably occuring is because when you're playing games the temperature of the video card causes case temperatures to rise, thus causing the cpu or memory to overheat and crash. What are your temps during gameplay?

is your PCI bus locked? It is possible you're making your hard drives or other system components our of wack.

the bus is locked, and my 6800 temp is fine. temperature of any of my component is perfectly fine and nowhere near enough for me to be concerning about. could just be because of the via chipset

I was talking about the temperature of the CPU during 3d gaming caused from the increased thermal output caused from gaming. But if you say teh temperatures are fine I'm not sure what to say. Is your AGP locked?

yes itss both locked at 66/33. But this chipset is VIA's first attempt at making PCI/AGP lock..so i suspect it might report that way but its not absolutely locked. Other than that I can't think of anything that can cause it to crap out.

Back