• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need Some Audio Help

MAULxx

n00b
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
58
I just completed my first PC build & I really love it.
Thing is, the audio is kinda underwhelming compared to what I get outta my PS3.
I'm currently using onboard audio, running an optical cable into my Pioneer AVR.

Would the GPU audio be better suited for the task?
If so, how do I get that working?

I have 7.1 speakers connected to my Pioneer AVR which supports HD audio.
I have to crank it up quite a bit for PC games & it lacks the punch I'm accustomed to.

1. what I'm asking is what's the best way for me to get the best audio from my PC to my Pioneer AVR?

2. Using onboard audio, is there settings I need to adjust besides the Realtek HD audio manager? These audio options are all for computer speakers. I can get no back sounds from the audio demo no matter how many speakers I select. Should I leave it on 4 speaker setup?

3. Should I be using the GPU audio through hdmi or is the onboard better?

I got alot of questions I know :confused:
 
I would like for it to do at least 5.1 SS.

Right now I think all I'm getting is two channel stereo.
 
If you are using optical/digital out, the onboard audio and the audio through HDMI will be identical. Its all a S/PDIF signal.

Now, the reason you aren't getting sound through the rear speakers is because you aren't playing a source that has a true encoded 5.1 audio signal. The speaker demo will only work if you have your speakers hooked up via the analog connectors. Since you are using the digital connector you need to play back somthing with either a Dolby Digital or DTS audio track. If you want to be able to game in 5.1 using the digital output, you need a soundcard that can encode to DD or DTS in realtime. A sound card with a DD-Live or DTS-Connect chipset will do that.

So yea, play a movie with a true 5.1 DD or DTS audio track and if your player is setup correctly for S/PDIF passthrough you will get 5.1 sound.
 
If you are using optical/digital out, the onboard audio and the audio through HDMI will be identical. Its all a S/PDIF signal.

Now, the reason you aren't getting sound through the rear speakers is because you aren't playing a source that has a true encoded 5.1 audio signal. The speaker demo will only work if you have your speakers hooked up via the analog connectors. Since you are using the digital connector you need to play back somthing with either a Dolby Digital or DTS audio track. If you want to be able to game in 5.1 using the digital output, you need a soundcard that can encode to DD or DTS in realtime. A sound card with a DD-Live or DTS-Connect chipset will do that.

So yea, play a movie with a true 5.1 DD or DTS audio track and if your player is setup correctly for S/PDIF passthrough you will get 5.1 sound.

everything that he said :)

some onboard solutions have DD/DTS as well, so check your driver control panel, might just be hidden in there
might also need to enable Pro Logic II or Neo:6 if thats available

otherwise, hook up via 5.1 analog or time to upgrade
 
If you are using a competent player (MPC-HC for example), when playing back a movie and you open the built in AC3 decoder settings you will see 2 options. S/PDIF being what you want for passthrough and decoded to speakers.
 
Last edited:
what is Not Found?

and VLC also supports passthrough, select S/PDIF on the audio device
 
Ok, I got Unbreakable playing in Dolby Digital 5.1 now using MPC-HC & the method criccio suggested.

When I try DTS I get no audio with S/PDIF selected for DTS.
 
When I try DTS I get no audio with S/PDIF selected for DTS.

What version of Windows are you using? There's a control panel thing that usually needs configuring once in order to get it to play nice with some S/PDIF signal formats. By default it enables way too many, and when something tries to use the ones your hardware (sending & receiving) can't handle, you'll either get no sound, or sometimes a godawful noise like someone's killing your computer's pet bunny.
 
either way, if you don't have DDL or DTS:C (which seems to be the case), you aren't gonna get 5.1 with games from your computer, so I would agree with the new soundcard, yes, configure things right as ashmedai said (theres no reason to break things), but a new soundcard would probably be a good buy if you want games in 5.1 from your PC via digital connection to your receiver
 
Yes, in Vista/7 you need to enable DTS passthrough in the Sounds control panel. DD is already enabled by default.
 
Back
Top