Trying to figure out some sound options for my setup.
After reading all the user input here and figuring a rough budget for what I am willing to pay I came to the conclusion of getting a pair of Sennheiser HD-595s. I want to get the most out of them so I have a couple questions. What is a good amp to go with this set of headphones. I would want one that can first be plugged into the wall so I don't have to buy batteries every day as it will be used a lot. I don't really have a budget but I don't want to get ridiculous, just one that pairs up real nice with the level of quality that the 595s have. My other question is right now I have a Dell XPS laptop with the PCMCIA Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS. It has quite a bit of features but it is probably dated now that the X-fi sound cards have come out. Is this sound card still good enough or is there new hardware out that is much better? I haven't really found much in the way of soundcards for laptops.
One last thing, is it really worth dropping this much money into headphones/amps. I hear you guys rave about it that it's got me wanting to try it out. I use some cheap headphones when I need to but mostly rely on my Klipsch 2.1 setup. I am going to be gaming a lot with these and was wondering how good headphones are for positional audio. Never had a 5.1 setup so I don't know how they would compare to something like that.
Thanks for any input.
After reading all the user input here and figuring a rough budget for what I am willing to pay I came to the conclusion of getting a pair of Sennheiser HD-595s. I want to get the most out of them so I have a couple questions. What is a good amp to go with this set of headphones. I would want one that can first be plugged into the wall so I don't have to buy batteries every day as it will be used a lot. I don't really have a budget but I don't want to get ridiculous, just one that pairs up real nice with the level of quality that the 595s have. My other question is right now I have a Dell XPS laptop with the PCMCIA Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS. It has quite a bit of features but it is probably dated now that the X-fi sound cards have come out. Is this sound card still good enough or is there new hardware out that is much better? I haven't really found much in the way of soundcards for laptops.
One last thing, is it really worth dropping this much money into headphones/amps. I hear you guys rave about it that it's got me wanting to try it out. I use some cheap headphones when I need to but mostly rely on my Klipsch 2.1 setup. I am going to be gaming a lot with these and was wondering how good headphones are for positional audio. Never had a 5.1 setup so I don't know how they would compare to something like that.
Thanks for any input.