Need some advice on isolating a room from the rest of my home network

erehwon6811

Limp Gawd
I recently softmodded an xbox with xbox media center. I have my computer in the room as well, which stores all my media and records tv. I would like to issolate myself from the rest of the network. I don't want everyone to have access to the shares I'm opening up for the xbox. I have a Netgear WGR614 v5 router that I found at a garage sale for $2, which I can use. I really don't need to share anything with anyone besides that xbox and my own laptop. The only things I need are access to the internet and being able to print. That's the only thing I was wondering about: how to setup access to the printer from behind another router.

You can setup XBMC to connect with a username and password combo so you can limit access to the shares via the normal routes.

You could always try different Work Groups or subnet's.
That kind what I was thinking. I'd use that router to separate the devices in the room. The one thing I don't know how to do is to access our printer from behind another router. I'm trying to set things up like this: Cable modem -> Family router -> My Router. I'm wanting to set it up so I can print from behind my router to the printer hooked up to a print server on our network.

if ur router can be flashed with dd-wrt you can setup a vlan/

if ur router can be flashed with dd-wrt you can setup a vlan/
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like my Netgear WGR614v5 is supported by dd-wrt. That dd-wrt looks like something I might like to play around with if I ever find a good deal on a supported router.

Isolating it doesn't look to be too hard. The hard part is figuring out how to access our print server from behind this second router.

If the print server is a computer and not a stand alone device you could
always stick another Nic in it and have it on both networks.

edit: If you do the subnet way around i think windows lets
you set up multiple IP's.

If the print server is a computer and not a stand alone device you could
always stick another Nic in it and have it on both networks.

edit: If you do the subnet way around i think windows lets
you set up multiple IP's.
I really can't add another nic to the print server. It's in another room and I don't think I have any extra network cables long to reach my room at the moment.

One thing I was thinking about was a firewall. I have an old computer and I've been wanting to play aroundwith IPcop or smoothwall. I wonder if I could use that and set strict permissions on the shares instead of isolating myself with the second router.

I did a little more searching and found something I think will work. I shut off simple file sharing and set up permissions for those shares, which was suggested earlier. I also found out how to hide the shares by putting a $ at the end of the share's name.

Thanks for the help. I guess I was making things more complicated with some of what I was thinking of doing.

Back