• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Need some advice: Gaming headset

s_s256

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 22, 2004
Messages
491
Well my Zalman 5.1 gaming headset finally broke after 3 years and I am looking for a replacement. I am not totally sold on the 5.1 headset fad. The positioning is good but I have tried my X-Fi sound card in headphone mode it is seems to sound just as good/better than just regular 5.1 audio. So I am looking for a decent headset for my gaming needs.

I have to say that I am not that much of an audiophile at all. I don't listen to that much music, and was content how my Zalmans sounded music wise. My primary use will be for games. A microphone would be a big bonus. I have never had one before, and it would be very useful when playing TF2, or L4D.

My price range is around $100 CAD. So here is a list of some that I have been looking at. I am open to suggestions other than the ones below. What do you guys suggest/ recommend?

Sennheiser HD435
Sennheiser PC151
Sennheiser PC161
Razer Carcharias (I have heard great things about these)
Razer Barracuda HP-1 (I just put these out there. The 5.1 isn't very important to me, but a friend has these and they do sound pretty good.)

Thanks.
 
Do you want a USB, or standard headphone jack connection.

Logitech is coming out with an upcoming G35 that does simulated 7.1 and has some neat other features. USB only

Tritton AXPro is 5.1, and can connect to anything, USB, optical, headphone jacks etc.. .I believe it is a "real" 5.1, not simulated via software.
 
Probably the standard 3.5mm jack. I would want to run it through my X-Fi card.

The Tritton AXPro looks interesting. I will look into it, thanks.

I have been looking at the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 right now. I have read that it is a very good set. I just can't find it anywhere in Canada for under $210, or a US retailer where they are $90 but charge $60 to ship them. =/

I am still researching. Thanks for the help.
 
have ad700, sound nice.
don't get the racer hp1, omg those piece of garbage headphones. Don't get me wrong they sound nice and very nice 5.1 positional for CS or whatever games but they broke on me in less than a month. Yup they just snapped in half, wow was i mad. So i upgraded to beefier indestructable ad700's.
 
Thanks for the tip. The AD700's do seem like the best buy. I am just having some difficulties finding it at a reasonable shipped price. I am not sure why it costs $50-60 USD to ship two pounds a few kilometers. Every company seems to be charging that much for some reason. The search continues. :)

I have been reading a lot of complaints that the Razer HP-1's are fairly fragile. Now that I think of it, I haven't seen my friends pair for over a year now. I should ask him if they broke on him like everyone else's.
 
Last edited:
Creative Fatal1ty's (as sig) are cheap and sound pretty good for the money. Worth considering if you want to save some cash

I tried the Senny 161s and they sounded good by they don't really fit over my ears and sit on them, uncomfortable
 
long story short, decent headphones with wide and defined soundstage + cmss3d/dobyheadphone > 5.1 gaming headsets any day, check spaceman's guide http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1234050&highlight=headphone+guide for the best bang for your buck, this guy has tried out TONS of pairs, you've pretty much nailed it though, AD700s are very good if you want an open pair for less than 100$

Don't forget to try these settings in TF2 L4D or any other game that takes into account your windows control panel speaker setting, you HAVE to hear this :) http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=2444347&postcount=31
 
yea ad700 w/ xfi and whatever faux 3d the xfi makes sounds pretty good, i mean i can hear someone trying to knife me from behind in CS, which is good enough for me.
 
Back
Top