Need Some 2.1 Speakers

Usama

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 28, 2008
Messages
149
I have the Logitech X-230's at the moment, got them for £25 about 1 and a half years ago. They where great for the price.

I have ordered a new PC and I want some new 2.1 speakers.

The Logitech Z-4 look nice and I can get them around £40.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/250&cl=gb,en

The Logitech Z-2300 I can get for £80 double the price of the Z-4's from reviews I have read they are ment to be really good.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/231&cl=gb,en

I will be using it for normal use like Internet, music, and gaming.

I dont want to spend too much around £80 max. What would you recommend for me?
 
That you not get logitech. Otherwise, I don't know. See if you can get some Swan, Behringer, M-Audio powered speakers. Or try your local craigslist or ebay for something other than pc speakers as they suck monumental ass.
 
Most of them dont come with a bass speaker and are too much. :(
 
£80 = $140ish for the lazy. (At least, unless this whole stock market silliness screws the conversion rates...)

Good "bass speakers" aka "subwoofers" tend to start at around your total budget. The sound you can get from a pair of reasonably large sats (say, 5.5" drivers) will be better than two much smaller sats (2.5" drivers etc) with a separate bass unit. Most of those have a 6" to rarely 8" driver...it's nice if you can get it, but rarely worth gimping your sats over in that range.

Other than that...I'm a spoiled American that doesn't know much about international shopping. One problem with good speakers is that they tend to be heavy and thus are a pain to ship very far.
 
ebay is your friend in the UK. There are plenty of great audio makers there. Just search around for some used gear. Feel free to ask, "Is this a good deal."
 
Feel free to ask, "Is this a good deal."

This, absolutely...also, unless they have been seriously abused, the only difference between new and used speakers tends to be some scratches.

In general, what you want is a pair of powered bookshelf speakers.
 
Hmmm .. Im actually getting ready to get some new speakers as well. Though i dont need anything amazing ... Where I live cant crank it up much anyway without irritating everyone :p

Anyway ..

Was looking at:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836116025

And:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121122

Anyone have any XP with these? Ive heard good things about the logitech ones but not sure if the 2.1 setup would be worth it over 5.1 creative ... or if the 2.1 would just be alot better ..
 
I got the Logitech X-240s for only $50 and I love them. They're not the best speakers out there but I love the iPod Docking compatibility.
 

I have a set, and I"m not totally impressed. There is just something about them that sounds wrong. It isn't as clean and the lack of separation in the tones definitely bothers me. Depends on your audio quality standards though. Mine are pretty high, *shrugs*

I'm really looking for two great shelf speakers and maybe add a sub later. You may be better off going that route.
 
The basic issue is this: gaming surround setups use small, cheap speakers. That means that you will get directional sound but no detail. You can here where the bad guys are coming from but not exactly how far or fast, what they are shooting with or how many there are.

For music? Ugh. The issue is even worse. So much is lost b/c the speakers reproduce about 50% of the actual sound. Distortion levels are high and the "subs" are more like a fat guy in a bathtub after an all you can eat burrito dinner.

So, get the best two speakers that you can afford. They make them powered and easy to hook up.
 
Yep im from the UK. There are not that meny good speakers like the ones people have listed. And as you said shipping will cost. I dont use Ebay for some reason. The main speakers in the UK are the Logitech ones. :(
 
The main speakers in the UK are the Logitech ones.

poor Britons..., I always pity them and now there is a reason, thanks Usama ;)

Seriously, you can get better British-made speakers from Mission, Acoustic Energy, Tannoy or (last and not least) Bowers & Wilkins. If you are set on spending on speakers less or roughly about the same what you spend on a dinner for two then Logitech is not the only option either. Creative Labs or Klipsch come to mind and both offer speakers with balanced sound compared to Logitechs - renowned for loud and boomy bass which overshadows anything else.
 
poor Britons..., I always pity them and now there is a reason, thanks Usama ;)

Seriously, you can get better British-made speakers from Mission, Acoustic Energy, Tannoy or (last and not least) Bowers & Wilkins. If you are set on spending on speakers less or roughly about the same what you spend on a dinner for two then Logitech is not the only option either. Creative Labs or Klipsch come to mind and both offer speakers with balanced sound compared to Logitechs - renowned for loud and boomy bass which overshadows anything else.

LOL
 
The good old days of getting Klipsch for computer is overs. Klipsch pc speakers were the closest you can get to home audio when looking for an all around computer speaker system. The bass on the logitech are very boomy, sorta like car audio.
 
You should be able to get a cheap used receiver and some Wharfedales (some have 8" woofers so subwoofer might not be needed).
 
poor Britons..., I always pity them and now there is a reason, thanks Usama ;)

Seriously, you can get better British-made speakers from Mission, Acoustic Energy, Tannoy or (last and not least) Bowers & Wilkins. If you are set on spending on speakers less or roughly about the same what you spend on a dinner for two then Logitech is not the only option either. Creative Labs or Klipsch come to mind and both offer speakers with balanced sound compared to Logitechs - renowned for loud and boomy bass which overshadows anything else.


NCIX sells computer speakers from KEF (British) but I have no idea how good they are and they are expensive.

http://www.ncix.com/search/?categoryid=0&q=kef
 
I am probaly just going to get the Lohitech Z-4's or the Logitech Z-2300.
 
Quite a strange conclusion given the fact everyone here told you there are better alternatives to Logitech speakers. Neither Klipsch nor Creative speakers are that boomy as Logitech ones besides if you strech your budget you could get a receiver + some proper bookshelves.
 
Quite a strange conclusion given the fact everyone here told you there are better alternatives to Logitech speakers. Neither Klipsch nor Creative speakers are that boomy as Logitech ones besides if you strech your budget you could get a receiver + some proper bookshelves.

He's a Briton. They fail at access to audio systems. And then he lacks funds. So he fails at access to audio systems.
 
Quite a strange conclusion given the fact everyone here told you there are better alternatives to Logitech speakers. Neither Klipsch nor Creative speakers are that boomy as Logitech ones besides if you strech your budget you could get a receiver + some proper bookshelves.

Well I cant find Swans or any of the other ones in the UK. And if I find any they are too expensive. :( I would spend more money but I dont really use my computer speakers that much.
 
I am probaly just going to get the Lohitech Z-4's or the Logitech Z-2300.

I was a noob before as well and got a pair of Z-2300 for a very good deal (couldn't resist at $90 CAD) 2 years ago, but now I learned. Logitech = boomy bass. That's about it.

If there's no other alternatives, then just go for it... as long as you don't listen to music.

dL
 
I was a noob before as well and got a pair of Z-2300 for a very good deal (couldn't resist at $90 CAD) 2 years ago, but now I learned. Logitech = boomy bass. That's about it.

If there's no other alternatives, then just go for it... as long as you don't listen to music.

dL

What about if you have the bass on the lowest?
 
Then you have crappy highs and mids and less lows. Less of the best thing of a thing is bad.
 
What about if you have the bass on the lowest?

I always have the bass at the lowest or I'll get complaints lol. But yeah, basically not only do you lack low, you also lack (mid) as usual. Basically you lack everything haha.
 
So I'm in a similar position. I have a limited budget (less than $100) and want a 2.1 setup.

did we get consensus on what the best bet was? The swans don't have subs.
 
Back
Top