Need recovery or repair software for .MOV files

a_kraker99

Weaksauce
My brother accidently formatted his SD card with several movies on it in the .mov format. before he realized he didn't save a copy he recorded 1 movie. I have used several different programs to try and recover the files, some of them come up with nothing and some can recover the files but they are corrupt. No video and no Audio.
I think the movie files might just need to be repaired because they are all 15mb-100mb in size so there must be something there. Is there a good program that can repair these files or maybe a different recovery program that might work better?

TestDisk is what I'd recommend, personally. I've had great success pulling data off Flash storage cards of all kinds using that tool, but be aware that a repair of such a video file may not be possible if big chunks are missing. They also have another tool called PhotoRec but don't confuse the two: PhotoRec looks for file header info that is specific towards image files (JPG/JPEG/TIFF/BMP/RAW/etc) and can't help with video files, or files of any other kind for that matter.

I've never heard of a specific QuickTime repair tool (for QuickTime encoded media) but, see what TestDisk can save first I suppose.

I am trying to use it right now but I cant seem to figure out what options to choose in the program. The undelete option under disk utilities does not recover anything.

You've got to initiate a scan of the media (which can take some time) and then it'll present you with options based on what it found.

I have had no luck with that program. Any data recovery businesses or other software you can recommend?

DriverSavers, Ontrack Data Recovery Systems, and a few others are the professional services I've had dealings with in the past. Can't hurt to contact them for a quote I suppose, but it'll cost you - judge how important those videos are and make a decision...

Back