Need new computer speakers

Mohonri

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Messages
5,775
A couple weeks ago, a power outage took out the DC power supply for my computer speakers, and I've been coping with headphones. So I'm in the market for new speakers. And I don't have a clue as to what is good. Could someone give me a recommendation based on the following criteria?

1) I am not an audiophile, but I can tell trashy speakers from really good ones.
2) I'm stingy, so cheap is good.
3) As much as I'd love to get 4.1 or 5.1 or whatever, this will be only for the computer, so I only need stereo + subwoofer.
4) I'd like a headphone jack on the desktop speakers, so that I can plug in headphones (and mute the speakers) if needed.
5) The soundcard feeding these speakers will probably just be the on-board sound from the motherboard, so again, no audiophile-level requirements.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.
 
Logitech X-230 32 watts RMS 2.1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121123

This a 2.1 setup that is in the 50 range, and the only ones that looked good from a brand I would trust, mind you this does not have a lot of power, but will do for some basic 2.1 output.

bleave it or not there is 5 - 5.1 setups under 50 bucks :eek: but they looked so cheep I would just stay away from them.

for a little more there is the;
Logitech X-530 70 watts RMS 5.1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121126

This is the same basic setup, but in 5.1 little more power to drive the more speakers, but again a very basic 5.1 setup.
 
bleave it or not there is 5 - 5.1 setups under 50 bucks :eek: but they looked so cheep I would just stay away from them.
My old speakers were actually a 4.1 setup that cost around $35, but in the almost-five years I've had them, I've never had the opportunity to use the rear speakers properly, and don't see that opportunity arising within any reasonable time. And besides, they're not exactly the best speakers.

In general, which brands of computer speakers are more reputable/higher-quality?
 
For PC speakers, Logitech, Altec Lansing, Klipsch, and maybe Creative are all good brands.

i vote Logitech Z-4 for bang-for-the-buck. You can find them for around $50-60
 
Back
Top