Namelessme
[H]ard|Gawd
- Joined
- Jan 3, 2012
- Messages
- 1,161
Hello all,
I am new here, and am hoping someone can help me with my monitor dilemma.
I have for years used a trinitron as my main display, but it's beginning to show its age. I have also run into a problem with it and Windows 7. Previously I was using it on a hacked Win Me system (KernelEx), and fonts and everything looked fine.
So I get a new Win 7 system and discover the fonts now look god awful. ClearType results in basically 'Cataract Emulation-mode', where the text looks like I smeared Vaseline on my eyeballs. Cleartype tuner was of no help either. So I turn off Cleartype, do some registry changes, switching segoe to tahoma as my default, and although the system now has decent fonts, when browsing websites fonts sometimes look anemic. Some fonts are faded, patchy, or simply do not look the same as they did on my old system.
So then I decide to get a 24" IPS, Dell 24012M. Fonts are fine now with cleartype. But it has that AG coating which drove me insane... whites were no longer white, but some dusty, sparkly gray-ish color. Blacks were of course also lacking compared to my trinitron, but that was to be expected. Other colors were good enough... although depressingly when I ran dual mode and tried movie trailers on both monitors, my Trinitron still beat it in regard to color accuracy (and definitely for whites and blacks).
I then returned the Dell, but am sort of stuck now with a choice of a Trinitron with weird fonts on websites, or a spare TN panel I have here, which is pretty awful regarding color accuracy and angles.
Any glossy LCDs recommended? I don't need a gaming monitor, but would like decent color accuracy, semi-decent blacks... actual whites, not dusty white, and good viewing angles. A 24" IPS would be fine, if any were glossy, but am not aware of any. Only choices I can think of are a 27" Apple display, which is insanely expensive and really bigger than I need, or a Samsung PLS, but from what I have read they have major issues with backlight bleed.
Or are there any fixes to get a Trinitron working decently with how browsers render fonts under Win 7? I expect some CRTs will be fine with Cleartype, but I know for certain mine doesn't like it.
I am new here, and am hoping someone can help me with my monitor dilemma.
I have for years used a trinitron as my main display, but it's beginning to show its age. I have also run into a problem with it and Windows 7. Previously I was using it on a hacked Win Me system (KernelEx), and fonts and everything looked fine.
So I get a new Win 7 system and discover the fonts now look god awful. ClearType results in basically 'Cataract Emulation-mode', where the text looks like I smeared Vaseline on my eyeballs. Cleartype tuner was of no help either. So I turn off Cleartype, do some registry changes, switching segoe to tahoma as my default, and although the system now has decent fonts, when browsing websites fonts sometimes look anemic. Some fonts are faded, patchy, or simply do not look the same as they did on my old system.
So then I decide to get a 24" IPS, Dell 24012M. Fonts are fine now with cleartype. But it has that AG coating which drove me insane... whites were no longer white, but some dusty, sparkly gray-ish color. Blacks were of course also lacking compared to my trinitron, but that was to be expected. Other colors were good enough... although depressingly when I ran dual mode and tried movie trailers on both monitors, my Trinitron still beat it in regard to color accuracy (and definitely for whites and blacks).
I then returned the Dell, but am sort of stuck now with a choice of a Trinitron with weird fonts on websites, or a spare TN panel I have here, which is pretty awful regarding color accuracy and angles.
Any glossy LCDs recommended? I don't need a gaming monitor, but would like decent color accuracy, semi-decent blacks... actual whites, not dusty white, and good viewing angles. A 24" IPS would be fine, if any were glossy, but am not aware of any. Only choices I can think of are a 27" Apple display, which is insanely expensive and really bigger than I need, or a Samsung PLS, but from what I have read they have major issues with backlight bleed.
Or are there any fixes to get a Trinitron working decently with how browsers render fonts under Win 7? I expect some CRTs will be fine with Cleartype, but I know for certain mine doesn't like it.