need internet 700ft away

thax

Gawd
I do maintenance at a tank wash plant and a module went out on a control panel, if i can get internet to the control panel the main office in Chicago could pull it up and reprogram it to use a backup module that is in the panel. Now hear is the problem the office where the network is is 700ft away form the panel all outdoor space between them, so what is the best way to get the network over form the office trailer to the panel? i could ether run some cat6 down a pipe rack, or somehow try to go wireless form point a to b keep in mind it would have to shoot though a metal building and its all has to be outdoor rated.

Look into using fiber. Won't be the cheapest but that's the best way to do it. You're not going to get more than 300ft out of the Copper

Fiber cable with copper converters on both ends is the best way to do it. You could use long range wireless cannons, but you may need to use three to get line of site and it may be more expensive

Defiantly fiber. Since the run is between two buildings where grounds can be different fiber will be the best way to do it. You could then use fiber->cat5 adapters at each end of the fiber line.
That said Wireless is also a possibility. Though you'll need commercial/prosumer grade gear from the sound of it and it will need to support WPA2 wireless security to make sure the network stays secure.

cant do fiber because of cost this will be in pace for about 20 mim once its up just so he can program it. what i did was run run a cat 5e cable about 300ft then put a router then ran a another cat 5 cable about 200ft form their to the router by the panel . i can get router one 300ft form the building working fine and connted to the network but no mater what i try i cant get router 2 to pull an ip off of router 1 even tried doing WDS and same thing. routers are two tew-639gr. i even brought the routers home whit me tonight and still cant get an ip on router 2 behind 1, yet if i put #2 before #1 2 pulls and ip and 1 does not. how the hell do i get them to play along nicely or get WDS working on them?

cant do fiber because of cost this will be in pace for about 20 mim once its up just so he can program it. what i did was run run a cat 5e cable about 300ft then put a router then ran a another cat 5 cable about 200ft form their to the router by the panel . i can get router one 300ft form the building working fine and connted to the network but no mater what i try i cant get router 2 to pull an ip off of router 1 even tried doing WDS and same thing. routers are two tew-639gr. i even brought the routers home whit me tonight and still cant get an ip on router 2 behind 1, yet if i put #2 before #1 2 pulls and ip and 1 does not. how the hell do i get them to play along nicely or get WDS working on them?

Can't you just use one router and then a switch to get the extra distance? No need to go through more than one router.

I'd look at long range directional wireless, and fiber, whichever ends up being cheaper and more practical. Personally I'd go fiber as I've always liked wired better then wireless.

I'd look at using a cell phone broadband card from att or verizon or something and hook the laptop up to what you need internet access on. that's the most reasonable/quickest thing I can think of.

Don't use routers at all. Just use a couple of dumb switches or hubs.

do you have a link to some thing that would work? and it needs to be the same ip as the network in the trailer. i never been a network guy so im semi culess when it comes to this stuff and the routers the guy in Chicago told me to get seem to be the biggest POS i ever used. i just need the fastest simplest system to get this working for tomorrow.

do you have a link to some thing that would work? and it needs to be the same ip as the network in the trailer. i never been a network guy so im semi culess when it comes to this stuff and the routers the guy in Chicago told me to get seem to be the biggest POS i ever used. i just need the fastest simplest system to get this working for tomorrow.

Any cheap off the shelf switch or hub will do what you want. You are simply using them as repeaters to take what they receive on one cable and forward it out the other. Using hubs or repeaters is the same as extending one long cable the full length but I don't know if they even sell hubs and repeaters anymore. They shouldn't because they are antiquated. Any simple switch, from any manufacturer, will accomplish the same thing without any configurations.

Routers will make it complicated because you cannot have the same subnet on either side of the router.

I bet the long run would work with no extra switches on it. I've done 600 feet in a pinch.

Can't you just use one router and then a switch to get the extra distance? No need to go through more than one router.

You don't run copper between any buildings period, grouding differences can cause you to short out equipment.

Fiber or wireless is the only true approved way to link two different structures

the op is only talking about a temp half hour solution. Put a switch in between to act as amplifier, office max, staples even walmart should have some cheap switches

You don't run copper between any buildings period, grouding differences can cause you to short out equipment.

Fiber or wireless is the only true approved way to link two different structures

Approved by who exactly?

You can run copper between buildings just fine if it's done correctly.

the op is only talking about a temp half hour solution. Put a switch in between to act as amplifier, office max, staples even walmart should have some cheap switches

People love to flex their e-peen sometimes and make shit too complicated :p

Approved by who exactly?

You can run copper between buildings just fine if it's done correctly.

I would imagine that's covered under the TIA-568 or TIA-569 standards.

I mean, sure, it's possible to push 600ft of copper ethernet cable, or run copper between buildings. If the op is investigating permanent solutions (just reprogramming a control module remotely doesn't need a permanent solution, although it needs a reliable one--nobody wants to have the program update on their xx,000$ distributed control system interrupted because someone had to heat up a burrito--so try and stay away from wireless), then fiber would be a good option. Is it more expensive? Sure (although an industrial plant should have some electricians who can take care of the conduit runs). But on the other hand, you have a wired solution, and you don't have to worry about a potential difference toasting your allen-bradley/opto22/siemens/omron/whoever control system.

routers almost always have switching gear built in. your trendnet does. the 4 orange ports on the back are the switched ports. just dont use the blue "WAN" port, as that goes thru the "router" section of the device.

Ok could not get a switch to work so I just ran a new line all the way back and he just loged in and deployed the pakge and was saying this is the fastest one ever dled and was suprise there was no drooped popekts so thanks to the guys that said try one long cable the plant manger is happy band so is the main office

Don't come to my campus. I'm not a network guy but lets just say everything is copper for the most part and everything is on the same subnet

Ok could not get a switch to work so I just ran a new line all the way back and he just loged in and deployed the pakge and was saying this is the fastest one ever dled and was suprise there was no drooped popekts so thanks to the guys that said try one long cable the plant manger is happy band so is the main office

Not best practice, but it should work fine for you. if you do run in to any problems in the future you could try a run of cat6 since it tends to offer better shielding then cat5 does.

Not best practice, but it should work fine for you. if you do run in to any problems in the future you could try a run of cat6 since it tends to offer better shielding then cat5 does.

Only if it's STP type cable would it have shielding, FYI.

One cable 700 ft? I'm impressed. You did say it was across open ground so there wouldn't be any interference. Still, that is a long run.

Back