64x64px to 128x128px LCD
- response time of 2-10ms
- preferably using an RTC
- color or black and white
- no backlight

64x64px to 128x128px CMOS or CCD
- color or black and white
- able to process over 1000 samples per second

question: would it be possible to get ahold of a CMOS or CCD sensor that is able to do around 5000-10000 samples per second?

If you are going to try what I think you are going to (shutter individual sensor pixels with the LCD pixels), you are going to have to have some lensing for proportional sizes as well. The LCD will be quite easy to find, but the size and aspect of the individual pixels will most likely be different from that of the CMOS or CCD sensor.

I work with/for a LCD manufacturer, so I am going to suggest that a passive mono LCD using a high-speed and high-contrast fluid such as we call BBB will be best. With a color LCD you will get into the RGB stripe or delta and have three pixels per the "one" color pixel, unless you find one of the passive technology displays using the amount of twist to create the color differences (but these have relatively poor contrast ratios).

I am not nearly so familiar with CCD or CMOS sensors but these are built/litho'd right onto silicon wafers whereas the LCD are built/litho'd onto glass substrates. The LCD is designed to be large enough to be seen with the naked eye where the CCD or CMOS sensors are designed at LSI levels and are therefor much smaller.

Because of the aforementioned fact that I work for a LCD manufacturer I will refrain from giving specific links, but a google search of 'LCD distributor' should yield satisfactory results.

Hope this is at least slightly helpful.

Holy cow, I don't think I've ever seen such a helpful post in my life (if, indeed, you are correct about OP's intentions)

Cypress sells high speed CMOS sensors under their products catagory and industrial sensors, unfortunately I cannot get a hotlink to the product page. You have a pixel count on your sensor, do you have a physical size constraint?

I do not know if you are aware, but you can use a higher pixel count sensor that runs at slower rates. You can then just clock the pixels you want and get an effective higher rate.

For example:
You have a 1MpxL sensor, 1024x1024 at 100FPS. If you only need 512x512 for your image you can clock it in at 400FPS

I found a store that sells Cypress' LUPA-300 Furture Electronics for 200USD. This is a 640x480 cmos sensor in 1/2" package at 250FPS full resolution. Seems at 128x128 pixles you can clock just north of 4500FPS on this chip.

Using this fast of a clock rate seems you are going to be doing some FPGA work?

Back