Need Higher Quality Video Conferencing Help

rosco

Gawd
I am fairly new to video conferencing. The main thing I have worked with is lower end webcams and skype etc.

I am now working with someone who wants to do higher quality video conferencing between different lawyer offices etc. He currently uses a Lifesize Express box:
http://www.lifesize.com/

I know about Polycom but what I am wondering is if we could use a higher end camera (not some cheap webcam) and accomplish the same thing for less using a small form factor PC.

It would need to be HD video capable but with the bandwidth limitations that we will encounter at these sites, I am guessing we will have to scale it down due to bandwidth issues.

We won't always be able to install our equipment on BOTH sides so it would need to be standards compliant and be able to connect with Polycom units etc.

Thanks for getting me up to speed on this.

I am fairly new to video conferencing. The main thing I have worked with is lower end webcams and skype etc.

I am now working with someone who wants to do higher quality video conferencing between different lawyer offices etc. He currently uses a Lifesize Express box:
http://www.lifesize.com/

I know about Polycom but what I am wondering is if we could use a higher end camera (not some cheap webcam) and accomplish the same thing for less using a small form factor PC.

It would need to be HD video capable but with the bandwidth limitations that we will encounter at these sites, I am guessing we will have to scale it down due to bandwidth issues.

We won't always be able to install our equipment on BOTH sides so it would need to be standards compliant and be able to connect with Polycom units etc.

Thanks for getting me up to speed on this.

Either go with the Lifesize system or a Polycom. I've worked in two law offices and both have used Polycom systems. I think you'll find it much easier to just connect two videoconferencing systems to each other than a PC to a videoconferencing system.

Is Skype compliant with SIP and H323? I need to connect to Polycom video conferencing equipment so it wouldn't be just a Skype to Skype connection.

Back