Need helping choosing entry-level receiver for Edifier system

Amplify4575

Weaksauce
Joined
May 23, 2005
Messages
83
Hey guys, I recently got my hands on an Edifier S330D system:. I currently have a Shuttle SG31G2 outputting video via DVI and sound via a sound cable to a Samsung T260HD TV. I also have a PS2 (soon to be PS3) connected via component cable and my hd cable box via hdmi. Basically, I would like all of these devices to output sound using the Edifier's sub and speakers. Can anyone recommend a good starting receiver with hdmi inputs under $250? Of course, I'm willing to change the arrangement of the connections of what goes where, etc.
 
You don't need a receiver if you're using the Edifer system. Just connect the Edifer to the TV's headphone jack (left of the display, next to the hdmi input) and you'll have sound from all connected sources going through the Edifier, and bypassing the TV's sound.
 
This is why I come here for the answers lol. I didnt even think of that. Would the sound quality be diminished by being outputted thru the TV to the Edifier?
 
According to Samsung's website, it has "sound: Dolby Digital, optical digital sound (SPDIF) out"
 
the headphone out will indeed degrade the sound quality a little bit. but believe me, it will still sound way better than the tv's own tiny speakers. And you can control the volume with the tv's volume control too.
IMO it's not the most elegant solution, but it's easy, cheap and it will sound decent enough.
 
I don't think it'll degrade the sound to a point where it'll be a problem. Fool around with the TV's audio settings a bit and you'l be fine.
 
The Edifier has optical in, and the TV has optical out - can't I just use that with no problems?
 
I heard that this model of speakers when used with optical switches the left with the right and vice versa. You might want to switch the left and right speakers if you use optical.
 
The Edifier has optical in, and the TV has optical out - can't I just use that with no problems?

that would be even better than the headphone out solution. i don't know if you still will be able to change the volume with the tv's remote but the sound quality should be better.
 
Back
Top