Need help with Permission issues asap.

Azureth

Supreme [H]ardness
Okay, I have W7 64 and my roommate has Vista 64. He has a large file on his computer that he's trying to put in a public folder on our network, but whenever he tries it says he needs permission. Far as I know I thought I had given everyone permission, please help!

Does he have a password when he signs into his computer / do you?

Whenever I setup file sharing on Vista / W7, I had to make sure the logins were logging in using a password. I'd browse to the computer by going to Start > Run > \\nameofcomputer

Then it would prompt for a Username / Password. Then I'd type nameofcomputer\Username and then the password and I'd be able to browse the share. I hope this helps.

The nameofcomputer\Username would be where the share is hosted. Forgot to mention that.

So if there is a folder "Shared" on Computer A and you're trying to access from computer B.

Go to Computer B and go to Start > Run > \\ComputerA

Then When it prompts for Username and Password make sure you are using ComputerA\Username and then the password of said Username.

Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> Change Advanced Sharing Settings -> Home or Work -> Turn off password protected sharing

You should also be able to add access to the share for Guest - I think that works better than Everyone. It's what I had to do to get my wife's XP machine talking to my Win 7 share before I upgraded her to Win 7 also.

Back