Need help with first water cooling system

strideth

n00b
Well I've finally gotten around to building a new system, and I decided to go water cooled this time. I wasn't exactly planning to, but when a BFG 6800 Ultra w/ Water Block falls into your hands for a good deal, sometimes you have to just have to take these things as a sign. It is definitely time to build my new Athlon 64 system.

So after much research on this and many other sites, I've got most of the system on the way from various sources. I do, however, have a few questions that I am hoping the community at large could help me with here. This is my system as it stands:

Eheim 1250 Pump - 3/4" inflow, 1/2" outflow
Swiftech MCW6002-64 - 1/2" barbs
Koolance GPU Block - 1/4" barbs
Swiftech MCRES-525 plastic resevoir with whatever barbs I need
'88 Chevette Heater core with 3/8" brass barbs (w/ Panaflo 70cfm fan & tupperware shroud)
chevette.jpg

Looking at the barb sizes, you begin to see where I am having difficulties in figuring out what I am going to do. They are all over the map. I had actually planned on getting an MCW6000-64, and thats what the box said when it arrived, but when I opened it up it had the 1/2" barbs. Weird, but I can deal with it.

So if I do the standard Pump-->GPU-->CPU-->Radiator-->Res path, I will be going from a quarter inch connection directly to a half inch connection. I've got 1/4"-->3/8" adapters, and I don't think I would have any problems fitting a 3/8" vinyl hose over the half inch barbs, I just think it will do weird things to the overall flow of the sytem to have them in series like that.

The other way that I thought of, since the resevoir has two inputs, is to run the blocks in parallel:

path.gif

With the red lines in 3/8" tubing and the blue lines in 1/4" tubing. This would free up the restriction to the CPU block, but I'm not certain what it would do to the 1/4" line. If I run the numbers based strictly on tubing diameter, I come up with 70% of the flow going through the CPU, and 30% going through the GPU. Granted that the blocks will place additional restriction on the system, but I believe it will probably come out roughly proportional to the size of the tubing, as both blocks use roughly the same design (square box filled with many pins).

So does anyone have any comment, recommendations or ideas? I think I know what I am going to do, but I don't have any idea if I am crazy or not. Could someone with more experience in water cooling give me their opinion on this setup? Also, how the heck do you get a 3/8" tube over a 3/4" barb? With all the people out there who have used Eheim 1250s, somebody has had to come up with a solution for this.

The total planned system is:

Athlon 64 3200+ (Winchester)
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
1 GB Ram (still need to aquire, any recommendations?)
BFG 6800 Ultra (Water Cooled)
Sparkle 400W Power Supply
IBM 40GB & Seagate 80GB drives (very quite, very reliable, decently fast)
Pioneer DVD-105s

Thanks for going over that long post. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Back