• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need help to entertain party

Wilken

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 17, 2002
Messages
151
I have a party in my apartment this Saturday. I need to figure out a way to connect my computer to our surround sound. The surround system has a PS/2 Input for an IPod Dock as well as everything else like HDMI, etc. Can I connect my actual computer via this input? What type of wire would I need? Or could I run a 3 plug sound wire from the computer to the surround sound?

Another snag is that the computer and surround sound are about 20 feet apart... haha.

Thanks for advice - i'd much rather have my computer connected rather than an IPod.
 
well when you say "everything else", what does that mean? theres quite a few different connectors and inputs you could have

as far as using the ipod input, probably not, even if the device accepts straight USB memory connection, it probably isn't designed for USB streaming audio
 
This is what I am working with on the surround sound:





Thanks again!
 
I see toslink and coax, I think most MBs have those connectors and a decent sound card should as well, you seem to be fine.

 
Please excuse my ignorance, but I can just run a normal Coax cable between the two and that should work fine?
 
Please excuse my ignorance, but I can just run a normal Coax cable between the two and that should work fine?

make sure the output is connected to the input, and that if theres a "digital audio enabled" setting, that its enabled (I know my SB Live you have to enable the digital output, most newer stuff its always on)

also, for fun future reference:
hook your components up to that bad boy via the coax input (if you've got stuff with DD digital outs, like that cable box), you'll get surround sound where available :cool:
 
Could someone please provide a link to a picture of the exact wire or wires that I will need to connect the PC and surround sound? I just need it for the audio at this time.

I bought a wire today and it turns out it's the wrong one.

If you could provide a link with both sides of the wire shown (if they are different), that would be best.

I have a radio shack across the street if you can find something on their website.

Thanks a ton!
 
Could someone please advise on this? You'd be the savior of the party, ha. Thanks again
 
why did you buy that?
have you even read whats been said here?

you want RCA, stereo analog TRS to stereo RCA analog

if your computer has coaxial S/PDIF out, a single RCA cable from that to the S/PDIF input

either will work
 
I didn't buy the toslink. What I have is an RCA wire with two prongs on each end, red and white. Then I have two Y adapters as the guy at radio shack advised. Should this work if I plug the red/white RCA's into the Y adapters then into the comp/surround sound?
 
I didn't buy the toslink. What I have is an RCA wire with two prongs on each end, red and white. Then I have two Y adapters as the guy at radio shack advised. Should this work if I plug the red/white RCA's into the Y adapters then into the comp/surround sound?

you.
aren't.
listening.

for the third, and last time, stereo TRS output from your computer, thats the minijack, to an adapter or cable that has that plug to hook into your computer (this is NOT a y splitter), and then from the output RCA jacks, connect the red and white to your HTIB

OR
if your computer supports it, coaxial (As in RCA) S/PDIF output, to the RCA S/PDIF input on your receiver

I will not under any circumstances explain this again, thrice is enough
 
you.
aren't.
listening.

for the third, and last time, stereo TRS output from your computer, thats the minijack, to an adapter or cable that has that plug to hook into your computer (this is NOT a y splitter), and then from the output RCA jacks, connect the red and white to your HTIB

OR
if your computer supports it, coaxial (As in RCA) S/PDIF output, to the RCA S/PDIF input on your receiver

I will not under any circumstances explain this again, thrice is enough

I knew what cable he needed but couldn't understand your explanation. You're explanation could not have been more confusing.
 
What was confusing about mini jack to stereo RCA out put on pc to rca inputs on HTIB or RCA S/PDIF from pc to HTIB.
I do not see where that was confusing.
 
I'm still confused. OP needs a 75 ohm RCA cable of the appropriate length for SPDIF. The same type is also used for composite video (yellow ends). A regular audio type RCA cable (red and white ends typically) is not correct for this application.

Aside from that, do you have a game console attached to your TV/Stereo? You could just stream music to your playstation or xbox if they're networked to your pc.

Dustin
 
I'm still confused. OP needs a 75 ohm RCA cable of the appropriate length for SPDIF. The same type is also used for composite video (yellow ends). A regular audio type RCA cable (red and white ends typically) is not correct for this application.

thats all the same cable, plastic color doesn't matter; but thanks for playing
 
They're not the same. The impedance is different. Audio RCA cables are not 75 ohm. Smartass.

Dustin
 
you.
aren't.
listening.

for the third, and last time, stereo TRS output from your computer, thats the minijack, to an adapter or cable that has that plug to hook into your computer (this is NOT a y splitter), and then from the output RCA jacks, connect the red and white to your HTIB

OR
if your computer supports it, coaxial (As in RCA) S/PDIF output, to the RCA S/PDIF input on your receiver

I will not under any circumstances explain this again, thrice is enough

Your explanation assumes some knowledge he probably doesn't have, like what TRS means.
 
Wrong??? Plug them into the source, plug them into the amp, I get a signal. Wrong???
 
The connectors also add impedance. Throw a multimeter on and test resistance through the core. Just because you get a signal doesn't mean anything. Of course you'll get a signal, it' s an analog signal, something will come out the other end. That doesn't mean that you're presenting the correct load to your amplifier. But we weren't talking about an analog signal anyway, we were discussing a digital signal, and incorrect impedance will reduce it's effective range and could cause damage to the transmitter.

Dustin
 
Back
Top