Need help setting up Servu FTP program

Really all you need to do is to set up your router to forward the port that your ftp server is running on to the ip address the ftp server is running on. I hope that wasn't too confusing. :p And you can get the full version at serv-u's website. As far as setting up serv-u, doesn't it come with installation instructions? :confused: Basically what you need to do, though, is set a port, set the ftp root directory, and set up your users and permissions.

mokkapoop said:
Do i need to do the same forwarding with my dsl modem?
You don't have to do anything with your dsl modem.

I told you you shouldn't have to do anything with your modem; all those really huge pictures are pretty pointless. Your modem shouldn't have anything to do with port forwarding. For all your modem is concerned you only have one node connected to it so everything goes to it; there is nothing to forward.

Now, like I said before, just set your router to forward the port that the ftp server is running on to the ip address of the ftp server. That's pretty much all there is. What else are you looking for? Those huge pictures didn't help much. Pretty much all I got out of it was your ip address, which you could have easily posted without using any pictures at all. :D

jpmkm said:
I told you you shouldn't have to do anything with your modem; all those really huge pictures are pretty pointless. Your modem shouldn't have anything to do with port forwarding. For all your modem is concerned you only have one node connected to it so everything goes to it; there is nothing to forward.

Now, like I said before, just set your router to forward the port that the ftp server is running on to the ip address of the ftp server. That's pretty much all there is. What else are you looking for? Those huge pictures didn't help much. Pretty much all I got out of it was your ip address, which you could have easily posted without using any pictures at all. :D

Ok, so, after all this is said and done, what IP address do give to people across the country to access the server, is it the one from www.whatismyip.com, the router, the dsl modem?

mokkapoop said:
Ok, so, after all this is said and done, what IP address do give to people across the country to access the server, is it the one from www.whatismyip.com, the router, the dsl modem?
umm.. they should all be the same address. But always use the one that whatismyip reports. That's what the rest of the world sees.

edit: just looked over the pictures again and something doesn't quite make sense. It is showing computers hooked up to your dsl modem. How is your network set up? You have your router plugged into the dsl modem and then your computers plugged into the router, right?

edit2: it looks like your dsl modem is doing something funky. Does it do its own NAT? Typically your router should get the public ip address, but it looks like it's not in this case.

edit3: Well the user guide for that modem royally sucks, but it appears that it has a builtin router of sorts. If you are using the dsl modem's router, why do you have an additional router plugged into it? I would use one or the other; it would make things much simpler.

jpmkm said:
umm.. they should all be the same address. But always use the one that whatismyip reports. That's what the rest of the world sees.

edit: just looked over the pictures again and something doesn't quite make sense. It is showing computers hooked up to your dsl modem. How is your network set up? You have your router plugged into the dsl modem and then your computers plugged into the router, right?

edit2: it looks like your dsl modem is doing something funky. Does it do its own NAT? Typically your router should get the public ip address, but it looks like it's not in this case.

edit3: Well the user guide for that modem royally sucks, but it appears that it has a builtin router of sorts. If you are using the dsl modem's router, why do you have an additional router plugged into it? I would use one or the other; it would make things much simpler.

because the dsl modem only has one ethernet port, and I have 3 computers running off the router

Well if that's the case then I would turn off NATing on your dsl modem(if that is possible). No reason to have another layer in there. Just have your router grab your isp's ip address and everything will be much easier.

jpmkm said:
Well if that's the case then I would turn off NATing on your dsl modem(if that is possible). No reason to have another layer in there. Just have your router grab your isp's ip address and everything will be much easier.

take a look at this if u can, tell me if this is what u are talking about

2WIRE%20Network.JPG

I'm sorry, but now I'm more confused than ever. Are TIMOTHY, laptop, or simpson currently in use and using any of those ip addresses? If they are, then what are they hooked up to? Your router? Those ip addresses are assigned by your dsl modem, not your router, so that is why I am so confused.

jpmkm said:
I'm sorry, but now I'm more confused than ever. Are TIMOTHY, laptop, or simpson currently in use and using any of those ip addresses? If they are, then what are they hooked up to? Your router? Those ip addresses are assigned by your dsl modem, not your router, so that is why I am so confused.

focus in on the ip address name, the others are connected via wireles, which is setup on a different part of the modem, just worry about the ip address

mokkapoop said:
focus in on the ip address name, the others are connected via wireles, which is setup on a different part of the modem, just worry about the ip address
huh? worry about what ip address? And I thought you said wireless was disabled. :confused:

jpmkm said:
huh? worry about what ip address? And I thought you said wireless was disabled. :confused:

Ok, man, listen, that last pic is from the 2WIRE modem, which the wireless is enabled. I disabled the wireless on the ROUTER to stop any connection problems wirelessly.

Now, what do I need to do on that private network part?

Also, I made it more clear on the IP address, refresh this page and take a look at that last pic again

Oh okay. I didn't realize you had wireless nodes connected to the modem. Since that is the case, you are obviously using the NAT capabilities of your modem so you can't disable that. Which leads to my next question - since your modem provides NAT and routing capabilities, why are you using the linksys router? It's really quite superfluous and it just adds an unnecessary layer to your network. There are a couple options you can do to make everything simpler. Disable wireless and NAT on the modem and let your router handle both those things. Or just ditch the router and use a switch(or even just use the switch built into the router(but be sure to disable DHCP on the router)). Those two options will put all your nodes on the same subnet and it will make port forwarding a lot easier. As it is currently configured, you would have to set up your modem to forward the ftp port to the router, then set up your router to forward the port to the server.

jpmkm said:
Oh okay. I didn't realize you had wireless nodes connected to the modem. Since that is the case, you are obviously using the NAT capabilities of your modem so you can't disable that. Which leads to my next question - since your modem provides NAT and routing capabilities, why are you using the linksys router? It's really quite superfluous and it just adds an unnecessary layer to your network. There are a couple options you can do to make everything simpler. Disable wireless and NAT on the modem and let your router handle both those things. Or just ditch the router and use a switch(or even just use the switch built into the router(but be sure to disable DHCP on the router)). Those two options will put all your nodes on the same subnet and it will make port forwarding a lot easier. As it is currently configured, you would have to set up your modem to forward the ftp port to the router, then set up your router to forward the port to the server.

I am using the router for 2 computers, thats why, i have 6 computers total in the house

also, can I not, on that last picture, configure manually, or even select the 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0

or could I install a wireless card into the computer that will be a server, and do it that way?

mokkapoop said:
I am using the router for 2 computers, thats why, i have 6 computers total in the house
There's no need for that additional router. Your dsl modem provides all the NAT and routing functionality that a router normally provides, so the router is unnecessary. You could replace the router with a switch and everything would work just fine. Then in that case you would set up the dsl modem to forward the ftp port to the proper ip address.

mokkapoop said:
also, can I not, on that last picture, configure manually, or even select the 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0
That wouldn't do anything since your router is still NATting the computers that are hooked up to it.

or could I install a wireless card into the computer that will be a server, and do it that way?
I would never put a server on wireless unless there was absolutely no other way to do it. I'd consider this as a last resort.

jpmkm said:
That wouldn't do anything since your router is still NATting the computers that are hooked up to it.

I would never put a server on wireless unless there was absolutely no other way to do it. I'd consider this as a last resort.

why wouldnt u put it on a wireless, the computer is close enough that it wont lose signal at all

mokkapoop said:
why wouldnt u put it on a wireless, the computer is close enough that it wont lose signal at all
Wireless is just way to unreliable for running a server. Interference can cause excessive packet retransmission. It is way to easy to sniff traffic to get passwords of users logging into the server. When wired is available I just see absolutely no reason to use wireless for a server. It just doesn't make sense.

You can use a service like dynip or no-ip to give you a hostname under their domain name. You then have software on your end that updates the service with your ip address every time it changes.

mokkapoop said:
ok, great, I like that idea, so what do u suggest I do here?
Well I think I've said it a few times but I suppose I'll go ahead and say it again. Replace that router with a switch(or just disable dhcp on the router and just use the switch portion of it) and let your modem handle all the NATting and such. Set up the modem to forward your ftp port to the ip address of the ftp server. That should do it.

so I could use my 4 port hub right, a little dinky dlink 4 port hub, and let the DSL modem assign NAT

mokkapoop said:
OK, what here do I need to change it to?
Nothing. I think I've said it at least three times now. The best thing to do is to get rid of your router and just use a switch. If you want to use the switch built in to the router then hook everything up to the lan ports and disable the dhcp server on the router.

edit: just saw your other post. Yes, you can use your four port hub. But a switch would be much better(especially since you'll be running a server that might potentially be using a lot of bandwidth).

fixed it all.

Got rid of the router, went directly to the modem via wire, and wireless for my gaming computer

Simplest way to set up a ftp server with a router is to give the server a static address (probably one lower than 192.168.1.100 with a gateway of 192.168.1.1), if your concerned about its ip changing every time there is a power outage or router reset otherwise it can probably be left dynamic my stuff rarely changes dresses, forward port 21 to that address and use your public ip (the one sbc gives you) or your hostname in the case it is a dynamic address. If you don't know your hostname do a reverse DNS lookup http://www.dnsstuff.com/ some come out really weird but sbc might have a place to change it on their customers site.

Back