Hi!
I need some help selecting a reasonable 4-port raid controller for my workstation. I´m using a Supermicro X8SAX which offers a free x16 PCIe slot in a Supermicro SC733TQ-665B case with 4x SAS/SATA backplane. My current onboard raid 1 is too slow. I don´t want to use raid 5/6, raid 1/10 is fine for me. So I think that I won´t need a full raid 5 controller which would be too expensive as long as I don´t use the raid 5!?
What do you think about LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-4i or Adaptec 6405E (or 2405)? Can you tell me something about these controllers and their performance especially in Raid 1 and 10? I didn´t find a real comparison. Is it a problem that the Adaptec is only PCIe x1? What are the advantages and disadvantages of these two and is one of them clearly the winner? Or another alternative solution? The 8 port Supermicro AOC-USAS2-L8i is really reasonable priced too...what´s the catch?
Would like to hear about your practical experience and your opinions!
Thank you in advance and sorry for my bad english!
Christoph
I need some help selecting a reasonable 4-port raid controller for my workstation. I´m using a Supermicro X8SAX which offers a free x16 PCIe slot in a Supermicro SC733TQ-665B case with 4x SAS/SATA backplane. My current onboard raid 1 is too slow. I don´t want to use raid 5/6, raid 1/10 is fine for me. So I think that I won´t need a full raid 5 controller which would be too expensive as long as I don´t use the raid 5!?
What do you think about LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-4i or Adaptec 6405E (or 2405)? Can you tell me something about these controllers and their performance especially in Raid 1 and 10? I didn´t find a real comparison. Is it a problem that the Adaptec is only PCIe x1? What are the advantages and disadvantages of these two and is one of them clearly the winner? Or another alternative solution? The 8 port Supermicro AOC-USAS2-L8i is really reasonable priced too...what´s the catch?
Would like to hear about your practical experience and your opinions!
Thank you in advance and sorry for my bad english!
Christoph