Need help removing annoying redirect

Cold Dark Shadow

[H]F Junkie
some how the other day i got this annoying redirct on my laptop that if i say just type youtube in the address bar it would normally just go to youtube but now its redirecting to a somoto search engine.

Ive tried lookin in the add/remove programs and nothings in there and also in firefoxes add ons and such with no luck.

Tried googling it and it come up with malware of some type but no real answers on how to remove it

Tried AV scans (AVG) and reg scans (malwarebytes) and also spybot search and destroy and detect nothing which i huess others have said did the same.

Any help on this would be awesome,

Running windows 7
firefox

first empty the java cache in your user profile.

second...

check the proxy setting in firefox. If it is configured to something other than auto...you have a problem.

The problem is probably:

the link in the registry that binds to the browser startup user links, many of the new malwares recently add a proxy there that doesn't show up elsewhere. You are verify what's occuring using netstat.

Did you check your search engines? Does it still say Google or w/e is your search engine at top right corner? There's also a little arrow next to your search engine icon that lets you choose another engine or manage.

Check the stickied "malware how to" thread on top of this forum, it has all the tools that you need. These redirects are easily cleaned up with some of the rootkit removal tools mentioned in that thread.

Have you tried ComboFix as well as Hitman Pro? If not try both. If you were infected previously check your router's DNS settings as well as your TCP/IP network settings on your PC. I've heard of spyware changing the router's DNS servers to redirect you on all search results. Malwarebytes wouldn't remove Alurion which redirected Google searches. Hitman Pro did the job though.

tried hitman and didnt find anything, havent tried the other

in the address bar of firefor i did the about:config then keyword:url and found it was redirecting to bigseekpro something something so reset that/

ran ccleaner and speranti spyware and they didnt really find anything either

Ill have to give that a look

everything ive run av/reg scan wise hasnt come up with anything, ive gone thru my installed programs and add ons and nothing so kinda stumped lol

aleight i think i just might have to reformat this damn thing which is goin to be a bitch cuz whenever i think i got rid of it everytime the browser reboots its back

You could try posting on bleepingcomputer or one of the many spyware removal forums. Otherwise maybe a reformat/reinstall may be the best thing to do.

havent done a complete format.reinstall on this thing since i got it which has been over a year so i guess its about do

Seriously, just run Combofix it'll more than likely get rid of the issue.

shit i thought i ran that one, guess not, it removed a bunch of shit, most were legit app exe but nothing major that i noticed

I once had a redirect that only affected firefox. Would redirect nearly every google (and only google) search to some random site (which was then blocked by adblock). Reinstalling FF fixed that. Still dont know what caused it.

Is it only when you type stuff into the address bar? Have you checked your search engines for FF?

yeah it was really wierd, not sure what it was

yeah i checked the search engines, add ons and whatnot in FF and nothing was there that was out of place or odd

Back