• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need help picking out audio system

Mabrito

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 24, 2004
Messages
7,004
Hello, please bare with me as I really dont have much knowledge on audio components. Im looking to replace my Logitech Z640's. Im going to add a X-FI to my computer. Probably the XtremeMusic edition or less there some good deals on the ones with that X-Ram. The next parts is where my questions begins.

For the reciever, can I still get a 5.1 reciever or above and run 2 speakers on it until I add the sub, center and the rear speakers later down the road? Im assuming yes is the answer but want to make sure. What would the best reciever 300 can buy. I was looking at the Yahama ones at my Best Buy and they seem pretty good and are in my price range.

Next, what are the best pair of speakers that $200 can buy? This is basically my limit for the speakers. If it isnt much over I will probably consider it.

Please help me out. Later in the year when I aquire more money I will slowly add a sub then the rear speakers to make a 5.1 system.
 
Am in a similar situation as yourself....building a second 6.1 or 7.1 audio setup in my basement. Wanted to keep it cheap since it is in a secondary location.

I hear plenty good about the panasonic XR55 btw, it comes *very* highly recommended. There are lots more good ones to pick from, so be sure your receiver has all the features you want/need.

As for speakers, check this thread out for an idea or two: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1080124 ;)
 
Well I was looking at my Best Buy today to get some prices. They have a wide range of Yahama recievers. Are they any good?

Also they have a pair of Bose speakers for 180 bucks I believe it was. All Bose speakers actually really good, or over rated pieces of crap? Im thinking of just going this route as I can get everything I need at Best Buy and dont have to order it online.
 
$150 gets you some M-Audio's from Compusa. Jod loves his. Tho they are STUDIO monitors...accuracy/clarity over blaagrh...er loudness!
 
Lazy_Moron said:
Im assuming yes is the answer but want to make sure. What would the best reciever 300 can buy.
Yea, the answer is yes.

I've always been impressed with the budget Denon AVR receivers. You should be able to find a budget one for under 300$us new.
If you're not going to be doing anything with video now or in the near future, consider an integrated amp.

Here is a little denon for a great price http://www.crutchfield.com/S-aKJNHJ2AGQ0/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=033AVR1506

~Hope this helps
 
Lazy_Moron said:
Well I was looking at my Best Buy today to get some prices. They have a wide range of Yahama recievers. Are they any good?

Also they have a pair of Bose speakers for 180 bucks I believe it was. All Bose speakers actually really good, or over rated pieces of crap? Im thinking of just going this route as I can get everything I need at Best Buy and dont have to order it online.
Many Yamaha's are highly rated, not all of them are though so definitely research before you buy. If you aren't against purchasing online then definitely give the other recommendations some consideration (like the Onkyo receivers for example).

It is fairly unanimous in the audiophile community that Bose speakers and equipment are worse than "overrated crap" so don't waste your money. Speakers are another area i'd research further. Oh yea, not sure if you checked out that link i posted earlier but the Insignia speakers i got from BestBuy blew past my expectations. They're worth a shot if you're on a tight budget imho. If you hate the way they sound then you could just wrap em up and return them.

Good luck, and remember that researching is half the fun ;)
 
I have Yamaha stuff for my surround set-up with my HDTV. I did spend alot more than 300 bucks but I dont think you can go wrong with Yamaha.

Look around for Klipsch Reference Speakers. I used them in my theater set-up and they are very true. You could easily start with two bookshelf speakers, add a sub, then later get a center and the surrounds. The reference is pretty compact, in a good price range and the sound will impress you.
 
Back
Top