need help on wiring up RJ45 surface mount jack w/screws

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys
I have bought some RJ45 surface mount jack w/screws and I need to know how to wire it up.
the colors I see on this jack go: red,black,orange,blue,white,brown,yellow,green of course I need to know what colors match up with the ethernet cable if anybody could help that would be really great. Thanks

White/Orange -> Blue
Orange -> Orange
White/Green -> Black
Blue -> Red
White/Blue -> Green
Green -> Yellow
White/Brown -> Brown
Brown -> White

A jack with screw terminals isn't a network jack, it's a phone jack.

Dont use it for network wiring. It'll be all kinds of screwed up if it even works in the first place.

these jacks are used for networking here is where I bought it from:http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=150-012&FTR=150-012&CFID=6832767&CFTOKEN=26582506

also here is a picture of this jack from the inside

I think valve1138 you need to go back to school or do some more research on these types of jacks there buddy!!!!

A jack with screw terminals isn't a network jack, it's a phone jack.

Dont use it for network wiring. It'll be all kinds of screwed up if it even works in the first place.

Last edited:
these jacks are used for networking here is where I bought it from:http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=150-012&FTR=150-012&CFID=6832767&CFTOKEN=26582506

also here is a picture of this jack from the inside :
rj45jack.JPG

I think valve1138 you need to go back to school or do some more research on these types of jacks there buddy!!!!

I need to go back to school? :rolleyes:

Where in the description for that jack does it say it's Cat 3, 5, 5e or 6 rated?

I could care less that it says "Place an RJ45 internet/Ethernet port anywhere".

E-Mail them and ask what the jack is rated for.

It uses screw terminals, it's a phone jack, plain and simple.

Thats a phone jack, but it should work for network as well at least for 10/100.

There are RJ45 phones so you can have 4 lines instead of 1 line with RJ11, 2 lines with RJ14, or 3 lines with RJ25.

It uses screw terminals, it's a phone jack, plain and simple.

Yah...."screw down terminals"...you'll be undoing your twists well beyond the standard. You don't want your individual wires to be untwisted that much for fast ethernet. This seems like something from the CAT3 10 meg days.

It may "seem" like it works for networking...but I'd sure not want to see the high amount of errors and re-transmissions.

well I was able to get 1.8mb download and 1.6mb upload on this setup. the reason why its so low is because I am also downloading software.

That's a very slow speed. You wouldn't be pushing the limits of that shoddy setup until well over 100meg.

Those cables are twisted for a reason. I don't think you'll see that reason in your small setup, so it should be fine. Though, in the future, you should use cat5 keystones like everyone else.

dude did you even read the reason why my speed test was so slow? I said I am downloading 3 very large software files right now and if I wasn't downloading the large files I am sure I will be pushing over 4mb on the line.

quick update I just switched the connection over to the RJ45 surface jacks and I am downloading @ 350kbps with 3 very large software download.

That's a very slow speed. You wouldn't be pushing the limits of that shoddy setup until well over 100meg.

Those cables are twisted for a reason. I don't think you'll see that reason in your small setup, so it should be fine. Though, in the future, you should use cat5 keystones like everyone else.

Last edited:
I've never used those for network simply because I don't trust them. For phones, they are fine...glad it worked for you though.

dude did you even read the reason why my speed test was so slow? I said I am downloading 3 very large software files right now and if I wasn't downloading the large files I am sure I will be pushing over 4mb on the line.

You misunderstood me completely.

I said that, unless you push well over 100meg over the line, you will probably not notice a difference. That speed is too slow to notice a difference.

Make sense? It's not going to affect your setup, but it's still poor design and should be avoided in the future. We're just trying to help you dude...

You misunderstood me completely.

I said that, unless you push well over 100meg over the line, you will probably not notice a difference. That speed is too slow to notice a difference.

Make sense? It's not going to affect your setup, but it's still poor design and should be avoided in the future. We're just trying to help you dude...

so are you some kind a networking engineer then? I dont know where you get your information and I just wanna pass along little advice to you please don't be telling people what to do there own network its there own option what they want to use. because it would be like me tell you should use this setup compared to a different setup.

you should get a keystone wall socket plate and cat5/6 keystone jack..

then you use a krone tool and lining up the cat5 netcable with the colors on the socket and you get good clean net, and only need to untwist at the most 5mm..

what does this mean for perfomance, well if you say transmit large files (100s megabytes) between two pcs or more.. you will be lucky to achieve 40% of total bandwidth utilisation..

phone installers are now turning more and more to using cat5 cable in houses. because there are more than 3 sockets and it keeps the signal clean. those wall plates are designed for telephones and not net.

I have rewired my house and used cat6 sockets and wall plates, patch panel and netgear 16port switch.. now when i transfer files between pcs i get no less than 98% bandwidth load :) it takes a very short time to transfer files which is dam handy..

replace the socket with a cat5/6 keystone socket, wire it to a-type and make sure your switch side is the same.. its better and provides a nice clean signal and less chance of lost packets and increased gaming pings etc.. you will not be sorry you did.

part of me hopes this thread continues, because it's just funny.

another part of me hopes it dies, because well it's useless.

so are you some kind a networking engineer then? I dont know where you get your information and I just wanna pass along little advice to you please don't be telling people what to do there own network its there own option what they want to use. because it would be like me tell you should use this setup compared to a different setup.

It's a matter of providing correct information to people, not a matter of personal preference.

you should get a keystone wall socket plate and cat5/6 keystone jack..

then you use a krone tool and lining up the cat5 netcable with the colors on the socket and you get good clean net, and only need to untwist at the most 5mm..

It'll probably be a 110 style punchdown tool, rather than a krone style. :)

Here's the deal, your setup, while working, is improper. There is a standard for colors and wiring of UTP cable in ethernet systems that your jack does not conform to. That jack is for telecommunications. You can tell by the wire colors.

Red / Green -- Line 1
Black / Yellow -- Line 2
Orange / Brown -- Line 3
Blue / White -- Line 4 (usually telecom data)

Those are just jacks that someone found and said "Hey RJ45, they're for ethernet." But I tell you what. Go into most any hotel or hospital and you'll see the same jacks used for the telephone system. Word of warning though, unless you want to pay for the repairs, don't plug your ethernet cable into them.

In your situation, the wiring is fine. You seem to only have a connection straight to your internet source that is well below the limits of 10/100. You wouldn't be able to notice any errors or performance degradation. However, if you in the future wanted to set up a home network that would fully utilize the capabilities of a 10/100/1000 ethernet network, you will have a hard time getting trouble-free connections.

Now some advice for you: it's not a good idea to go off half-cocked on people simply trying to help you make better, more informed decisions. Your tenure on this forum might be short-lived. Most of these guys know what they're talking about, especially YeOldeStonecat. You might do well to listen to their ramblings.

Here's the deal, your setup, while working, is improper. There is a standard for colors and wiring of UTP cable in ethernet systems that your jack does not conform to. That jack is for telecommunications. You can tell by the wire colors.

Red / Green -- Line 1
Black / Yellow -- Line 2
Orange / Brown -- Line 3
Blue / White -- Line 4 (usually telecom data)

Those are just jacks that someone found and said "Hey RJ45, they're for ethernet." But I tell you what. Go into most any hotel or hospital and you'll see the same jacks used for the telephone system. Word of warning though, unless you want to pay for the repairs, don't plug your ethernet cable into them.

In your situation, the wiring is fine. You seem to only have a connection straight to your internet source that is well below the limits of 10/100. You wouldn't be able to notice any errors or performance degradation. However, if you in the future wanted to set up a home network that would fully utilize the capabilities of a 10/100/1000 ethernet network, you will have a hard time getting trouble-free connections.

Now some advice for you: it's not a good idea to go off half-cocked on people simply trying to help you make better, more informed decisions. Your tenure on this forum might be short-lived. Most of these guys know what they're talking about, especially YeOldeStonecat. You might do well to listen to their ramblings.

Yep....

Don't mess with YeOldeStoneCat hehe

Not to mention we have had to clean up many crazily installed setups in the past and know how good it is to use standards ;)

If that's how you want to play this... then fine.

Yes, not only am I network engineer, but I work on one of the largest global networks in the world with enough routers to make your head spin. BGP, MPLS, MSDP.. you name it, I am responsible for researching it, testing it, scaling it, and supporting it across 47 countries along with support from our 24/7 dedicated Cisco team. In addition, I'm also studying for a CCIE in R&S.

So now "I just wanna pass along a little advice to you".. please don't be assuming that we don't know what we're talking about. Like many others here on this forum, I do this for a living. You should be grateful that people this experienced are giving you advice for absolutely nothing. It's up to you to take the advice or leave it.. but don't attack us you disagree with it.

We are not forcing you to change your setup, rather, we recommending that you do so.. especially in the future. For the record, I would be thrown out on my ass if I would ever recommend this product.

If that's how you want to play this... then fine.

Yes, not only am I network engineer, but I work on one of the largest global networks in the world with enough routers to make your head spin. BGP, MPLS, MSDP.. you name it, I am responsible for researching it, testing it, scaling it, and supporting it across 47 countries along with support from our 24/7 dedicated Cisco team. In addition, I'm also studying for a CCIE in R&S.

So now "I just wanna pass along a little advice to you".. please don't be assuming that we don't know what we're talking about. Like many others here on this forum, I do this for a living. You should be grateful that people this experienced are giving you advice for absolutely nothing. It's up to you to take the advice or leave it.. but don't attack us you disagree with it.

We are not forcing you to change your setup, rather, we recommending that you do so.. especially in the future. For the record, I would be thrown out on my ass if I would ever recommend this product.

/thread

Between this thread and the other thread about how to setup a wireless network without buying a WAP...it's getting pretty frustrating.

It reminds me of college. I'm in my E&M physics class, being taught by my professor who has his doctorate in Physics from CalTech and is a researching professor in Nuclear physics. Needless to say, a smart guy. And then there's the students who challenge him and talk to him and make him back up his lectures in ways that show no respect or gratefulness for an obvious guru at the subject taking the time to break things down for them. Granted, you are paying for your education, but when you are in the presence of someone who knows far more than you do, and you are asking them a favor or opinion or question...just show some basic rudimentary respect.

</rant>
</thread>

Lock it up ops.

i hate shitty wiring jobs,

/me uses only leviton jacks and inserts.

using that box is like using wire nuts to extend cat5 when you need it =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back