Need help on packet sniffing

LookBehindYou

Weaksauce
Ok, so heres the deal...

I need to sniff traffic going from a webserver at our main corp location to one of our plant's dc/print server.

The problem is this:

We use intermec wireless scanners/printers with a custom app. User enters info, info gets sent to a webserver at our corp location. Webserver generates a job that is is sent to the print server. Print server sends job to the wireless barcode printer.

The problem is this. If the job goes scanner -> plant router ->mpls ->corp router -> corp webserver -> corp printserver -> mpls -> plant router -> plant wireless printer, the job will take about 3 seconds to print.

Unfortunately this means that all our plants will have printers on one print server, instead of their own DC's.

When the it goes plant scanner -> plant router -> mpls -> corp webserver -> mpls -> plant router -> plant DC/Printserver -> plant wireless printer, the job will take about 45 seconds to print.

The only difference is that when we use the corp print server, the print job has already been created by the print server and is being sent to the printer over the mpls. The long way means that the request is being sent over the mpls to the print server which then creates the print job.

I'm really stumped at trying to figure out what i'm looking for as to why it would take one way 45 secs, and the other 3 secs when both ways are sending essentially what I would assume is the same amount of data.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Back