Need help on opening backed up desktop

PoorBehavior

Limp Gawd
Made a copy of everything in my desktop directory because I needed to re-install windows. So, I copied everything to my server, no backup utility just a copy and paste. I put my desktop directory on a second drive, attached to the system, now it is locked and nothing I seem to do will allow it to share or give me permission to do more than look at it. I did not encrypt it or set permissions when I made the copy, windows did it.

How do I turn it off because everything I have tried, setting permission other than just read, trying to set sharing to anything other than "nobody", nothing has worked. I have to be missing the obvious answer and no searches have given it to me.

If you've reinstalled Windows your security ID will have changed for your account. You need to take ownership of the folders/files again. Assuming you have Windows 7

1. In Windows Explorer, open the file or folder’s Properties dialog box by right-clicking the file or folder and then clicking Properties.
2. On the Security tab, click Advanced to display the Advanced Security Settings dialog box.
3. On the Owner tab, click Edit. This opens the Advanced Security Settings dialog box for editing.
4. In the Change Owner To list, select the new owner.If you’re taking ownership of a folder, you can take ownership of all subfolders and files within the folder by selecting the Replace Owner On Subcontainers And Objects option.
5. Click OK twice when you have finished.

Thanks for the response Violator.

Yeah, I did a cpu/motherboard upgrade. Copied everything to WHS and 2nd HD, wiped OS drive and did a clean install. My original hard drive was not encrypted.

So, for instance, if I have already taken ownership of the directory and files and it still does not give me access, do you know if it could be anything else?

Thanks for the response Violator.

Yeah, I did a cpu/motherboard upgrade. Copied everything to WHS and 2nd HD, wiped OS drive and did a clean install. My original hard drive was not encrypted.

So, for instance, if I have already taken ownership of the directory and files and it still does not give me access, do you know if it could be anything else?

Are you saying you've definitely taken ownership of the folder and Windows confirmed this? What message do you get when you try to open the folder?

That I don't have permission to access the file.

The pictures are there. The size is right, but it will not show me a thumbnail/preview of it. I took ownership of the directory, windows said all the proper things; "you are about to take ownership of this directory" etc.

I am at work now, once I go home I will follow your guidance and try again to take ownership of the directory and everything in it.

Thanks for the help.

if you don't care about what data is on the drive then use active kill disk and nuke the thing dead.
100% success rate for getting rid of virus and the like as well the pro version is certificated by the us military for the disposal of used hdds

ps this program was made in freedos and its not a true low level format .that can only be done at the factory .its a zero bite formater.
http://www.killdisk.com/

ok from what i understand your using windows 7 {figers} and your trying to make\or made a backup copy of some of the files from the hdd drive on the computer you wish to do a reinstall on right ?

and the backups you did you can no longer use correct ?
as well have to ask do you know how to use commend line {dos} ?
i should be able to help you with your problem but i just want to make 100% shoure i know what it is your trying to do before advising ;)

War Zone, you lost me a bit there.

I never had a virus, I built a new computer and used my old OS drive without doing a fresh install. Then the motherboard I bought for the new system, an Asus, turned out to be faulty so I exchanged it for a Biostar. So, I carried the same hdd through three motherboards in as many weeks. Finally some conflict between all those drivers or leftover bits of drivers started to BSOD my system. I could not mull it out so I decided to do a fresh install. I copied most of my data to my server and my Desktop from the old install to my E drive.

Then, after I had my new install up and running I attempted to access the Desktop copy I had made previously but Windows would not allow me access to it. It was not encrypted by me and I set all permissions and ownership for the directory and all sub-files to my new administrator account. However, Windows would not allow me access to any of the files.

This search for an answer was somewhat academic. I get very stubborn when my system does something like this and I can't seem to let it go until I know why. I say it is all academic because I have my WHS backups, one just the day before I did all this and everything seems to be fine, I have not copied everything over yet but I have unpacked it and everything seems to be there as it should. It still annoys me that windows will not allow me access to this directory and I am still going to look for an answer as to why. If you know, I would appreciate your help.

Back