Need help installing DansGuardian on IPCop

zrac

Limp Gawd
I am a linux n00b, I'll admit that right away so you know where I'm coming from, I don't buy into the open source community as much as some people here but to be fair I'd like to give it a shot wherever I think it fits.

I have few users at work that need to setup home LAN's with web-filtering, mainly due to kids... since $$$ is always an issue in home environments I figured I'd give open source a shot

I believe my best shot at this is with IPCop & DansGuardian , is that correct? Are there any just as good other options by the way?

In any case... I have IPCop 1.4.10 running fine , only the protected & external interface setup on it. (green & red?)

now I'm trying to add DansGuardian and having one hell of a time

1) I noticed that DansGuardian does not like the latest IPCop version, but I am trying to follow this website here which claims that it should work

http://hiro-tan.org/~ekoontz/ipcop_and_dg.html

2) I have both the dansguardian and dansguardianGUI tars copied on there in \tmp

3) I used tar xfz name.tar.gz to extract both and I have put them into \tmp\setup

I did not use the ssh or scp commands, I used WinSCP to copy files over and then its terminal window to do the simple tar xfz....

now what do I do?

Just to add something

now that I extracted those two tar files this is what I hate in /tmp/setup

dg-2.6.1.tar.gz
dggui.tar.gz
information
setup

so I figured I'll extract those two packages as well

then I get a ton of files in /tmp/setup , few of the interesting ones are

install-dg-gui-on-ipcop.sh
install-dg-on-ipcop.sh

wish I knew what to do next :)

Did you look at the two files:

information
setup

Seems like they might be useful....

you might consider installing the addons server and then uploading copplus, which is a dansguardian front end for ipcop. Pretty nice implimentation, gives you webadmin access to the config files rather than needing to vi them to change settings and what not.

Malk-a-mite said:
Did you look at the two files:

information
setup

Seems like they might be useful....

I don't read manuals and help files :D

I'll check them out...

hey dude! that helped a lot , thanks! I never stumbled on the copplus and addon server, I'm downloading both right now.

UPDATE: this page couldn't make it any easier, I'm already done with setting it all up in matter of minutes , for windows people don't forget to get WinSPC so you can easily transfer addon server to your IPCop box.

http://keystoneit.wordpress.com/2006/08/15/firewall-addons-for-ipcop/

Here's a helpful link: Sourceforge Firewall Addons

It's just a repository for allt he addons that comply with the addons server, which makes it a simple webGUI upload to install, and the ever so swank webGUI text readme access to the addons so you don't have to un-tar the file and read the tex file from ssh or on your windows box.

there are a ton of extremely useful addons out there though.

Zerina openVPN (TLS rather than L2TP/IPSEC)
Copfilter proxy+spam filter+antivirus
MH addons the candy store of really cool addons
More addons I was linked to from the IPcop IRC channel

Back