Need help. I screwed a work laptop domain up!

Back_Packer

Limp Gawd
My girlfriends mom works for a large company that lets her use a laptop at home. My girlfriend brought it to my house and typed a paper on it and wanted to print it on my network printer. So I pluged the laptop into my router but couldn't get it too work. So then I decided to change it from having a Domain to my workgroup. Now it will not let us log in! Is there a way I can change the domain back without being in windows? I really screwed up can anyone help me? I don't want my girlfriends mom to have to bring it back to work like this because she might get in trouble. Thanks :(

umm to add a computer to a domain you need someone with rights to add a user to the domain...i think i am right

Sorry dude, I hate to say it, but ya blew it... Hopefully her IT people are understanding.

If the girlfriends mom explains it to the IT dept. as it happened, minus the daughter using the laptop, they shouldn't be too bad about it. If the daughter is brought into scope then management may have a problem with it. This would also be a security issue with the mothers employer if the mother has access to the network from her home on the laptop.

Don't you also have to have admin to REMOVE a system from the domain as well?

If so, then what account did you use to remove it from the domain?

Riley

Originally posted by Skud
Don't you also have to have admin to REMOVE a system from the domain as well?

If so, then what account did you use to remove it from the domain?

Riley

Thats what I was thinking, normally you have to be Admin to remove a computer from a Domain and Add...

Pending on the users group and group settings it can be gone around but to join the domain you must have the permissions to join the computer to the required domain. There is a difference between computer admin. and domain admin. Normal computer admin. acount/group will not let you join the domain.

I believe an account can just be a local admin to remove the machine from the domain. (I've had to do this countless times for machines that are part of domains that no longer exist)

But to join the domain, you'd need to be a domain admin, have a domain admin user/password, or have specific permissions to be able to add machines to the domain (plus you'd need to be on that network, so you can contact the DCs)

If the Domain account was used to remove the PC... well that account no longer works... since the laptop is not in that domain anymore (not even sure if a cached profile works in this case... never tried)

Hopefully your mother-in-law's IT department is understanding. It really shouldn't be too much of a problem, just a few minutes adding it back to the domain.

I hate little fuckers like you who pull such stupid shit.
People who take their *work* laptop home and decide "hey, i can't see my home network, let me leave the domain, that'll fix everything!"
Then they leave the domain (because power users/local admins can do that) reboot, and now they can't get back in because they don't know the local admin password.
Way to go buddy, while this is easy to fix (take the machine to a corporate network, login locally as an admin and rejoin the domain, reboot.) It would never have happened if you knew how to share a printer correctly.

Sorry to flame, but next time, hook the printer up locally. If she had enough rights to leave the domain, she would have enough rights to add a printer.

Originally posted by ambit
I hate little fuckers like you who pull such stupid shit.
People who take their *work* laptop home and decide "hey, i can't see my home network, let me leave the domain, that'll fix everything!"
Then they leave the domain (because power users/local admins can do that) reboot, and now they can't get back in because they don't know the local admin password.
Way to go buddy, while this is easy to fix (take the machine to a corporate network, login locally as an admin and rejoin the domain, reboot.) It would never have happened if you knew how to share a printer correctly.

Sorry to flame, but next time, hook the printer up locally. If she had enough rights to leave the domain, she would have enough rights to add a printer.

*ouch*

angst!

After re-reading the original post, are you sure that it was the domain that was being the issue?

Maybe you didn't get an IP? (Yes, some companies still assign addresses statically)

*ouch*

angst!
Lol, yeah well.. can you tell i've dealt with this before? "I let my kid use it, now i can't do 'X'."
People who do on my network typically have their "laptop need" re-evaluated and often end up with a desktop so this doesn't happen again.

Originally posted by ambit
Lol, yeah well.. can you tell i've dealt with this before? "I let my kid use it, now i can't do 'X'."
People who do on my network typically have their "laptop need" re-evaluated and often end up with a desktop so this doesn't happen again.

Preach on. We get this a lot. She'll have to have IT put it back in the domain. That's the only way.

Originally posted by KaosDG
But to join the domain, you'd need to be a domain admin, have a domain admin user/password, or have specific permissions to be able to add machines to the domain (plus you'd need to be on that network, so you can contact the DCs)

adding pc's to the domain is a RIGHT not a permission ;)

Originally posted by FLECOM
adding pc's to the domain is a RIGHT not a permission ;)

heheh

In my networks, it's a permission though... because you may have the Right to do it, but you still don't have my Permission!

And I have a Cat-5E Noose to confirm it :D

Back