Need help - Grid computing

GodSpeed

Limp Gawd
Hi all, I need someone to help me out on this very interesting project (super dense server array, really can't give it away here).

If you have familiarity with any of the following, this is the project for you:
Grid computing in businesses, backplane design, clustering technology, high end Sun Fire systems or anything of the like (such as the Sparc chip)... Just send me an email and we will talk!

email: godspeed AT rogers DOT com

Thanks in advance! :D

Once I would actually get funding for such a beast, I could probably do an example of it running... the demo system could work for the [H]orde.

Lets just say if it all works out you would have a 73ghz beast pushing you forward. That's all I'm willing to disclose at the moment to people not involved.

And yes, if your an important person I bet you would be paid if anything large happens.

Originally posted by turmelle
The design for my "grid" is in the forums. 70 Ghz strong. Hehe
turmelle et al -
Your "grids" are nothing but an inexpensive attempt at putting together computer power.
Your pathetic blade system can probably put together 6 dually AMD's for a total of 30 Ghz at a cost of less than $6,000. And this would be still small enough for a tower sized case.
Where is the profit in that ?

If my bosses are managing a project that has systems costing $6K for 30Ghz they look good to geeks. If they are managing a project that has systems costing $60K for 30Ghz they look good to upper management.

If Halliburton buys 10 thousand gallons of gas and then resells it to the US Army and makes 5% on each gallon which is better - buying gas at $1/gallon or gas at $2/gallon ?

If Northrup-Grumman sells the military 100 tournelle systems for $10k each, plus 10%, do they make as much as if they sell 100 customized-up-the-wazoo, ruggedized-out-the-butt systems at a cost of $250K each, plus 10% ?

Sorry for the complaints, but I've a dually system at home that does EVERYTHING (as far as software) the systems I field do, but it cost me $500, not $15,000.

And isn't a measly 73Ghz kind of small for a "super dense server array" ?

Originally posted by gnewbury
turmelle et al -
Your "grids" are nothing but an inexpensive attempt at putting together computer power.
Your pathetic blade system can probably put together 6 dually AMD's for a total of 30 Ghz at a cost of less than $6,000. And this would be still small enough for a tower sized case.
Where is the profit in that ?

Actually I got it down to around $75/Ghz but who was talking about making profits on something that folds for charity? That was out of left field.

"pathetic blade system" - That's a new one. LoL

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. :p

Originally posted by GodSpeed
It isn't if you realize that its 73ghz per 3/4U, or only one "case".

That's really ambitious. Perhaps with Power5 (IBM, 8 dual core CPUs in an MCM) or Cell (joint IBM/Sony/Toshiba CPU) you could get that dense. Powering it and cooling it in the same 4U case would be prohibitive I think. Even with conservative 50Watt/Ghz you're talking about a 4KW power supply.

I'm not going into specifics in this thread!
sunlove.jpg

(not me)

Originally posted by turmelle
Actually I got it down to around $75/Ghz but who was talking about making profits on something that folds for charity? That was out of left field.

"pathetic blade system" - That's a new one. LoL

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. :p
I apologize for not putting in SARCASM flags.
Your system is GREAT.

I spent the better part of the day (or the worst) in meetings for the new system we are fielding. Maybe 300 units TOTAL. We are looking at systems which have comparable processing power to your "scotch tape" 6 board setup with 3 PSU's. More memory, and HD's are a different matter.

Each system must support 2 or 3 people 24/7.
They want to be able to do the processing in a vehicle/shelter or move into a building.

The "base systems" they are evaluating will probably cost $50k or more EACH. At that cost they can't afford to duplicate the equipment to just put systems in the building and turn the vehicles off.

I passed around the picture of your 6 blade setup and told them basically - Hell, get a few of these for inside and forget about duping your $50k system.

RAIDs - We field Winchester Raids - about $30K a pop. It has taken me two friggin years to convince them that they can put a Promise RAID in garrison for $5k a pop with the same storage capacity.

When people have "the need for speed" in my building, they usually come to me. Because while some other freakin manager is out trying to buy a brand new pretty high end workstation for $30K I've slapped a few Xeons anda m/b in an old case, scrounged a few hard drives, and completed the project. Of course these machines do need a burn in time :)

Heck, I've been known to put a beer into a system to cool it.
foster1

I greatly admire your blade system, but I would have used duct tape.

Technology advances to fast to spend a lot of $$ and time on the 99% CPU solution. Go for the 90% and you will get there 10 times quicker and at a tenth of the cost.

I'm well aware of the costs of these systems. I've done server contract work for both Sun and IBM (4-way to 64-way). Both develop high quality high uptime products and you get what you pay for. Not every project needs that level of service. Thus the rising popularity of RAIC (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Computers) if you just need raw CPU power and very limited IO.

Anyhow it's good to see companies are ready to spend on infrastructure again. It will certainly help my IT stocks.

Back