Need help finding drive...if possible

gipper51

n00b
A guy I built a system for is having some major virus / corruption problems with window and I think I need to format his hard drive and reinstall. He has files on there I need to copy off the drive before I format it. I tried pulling the drive an using it as an external USB but it doesn't show up in windows on my machine and I don't know how to get windows to recognize it. Also tried plugging it into mine as an IDE slave, and it shows in explorer but when I click on it I get a "error performing inpage operation" message and it won't read from it. The Seagate utilities disc only seems to apply to fresh installs and doesn't help much. Any ideas on how to get to these files and save them? It is just data like pictures, music and word documents I need to save. I try telling him to back this stuff up :)

Thanks,
Gipper

This is an area that I use my Ghost Corporate for, since it lets me grab an image of the drive and get to the files later. You can get something like BartPE and boot from it on his system to access the files, but you'll need a network drive or an external USB drive to copy them to. It sounds like the drive might be corrupted or is dying, so a LiveCD is a good option.

On a side note, if the drive was set to master, it should have worked in a USB external housing, so you might want to take a look at your chipset drivers and make sure your USB ports are working.

Back