Need help configuring router for Remote Desktop.

Patrick G

Limp Gawd
I’ve got 2 XP Pro laptops connecting to a Linksys Wireless router (WRT55AG), which is connected to a DSL modem. I used the instructions found here to set up Remote Desktop, but I still can’t seem to connect remotely. I know I’m just not doing something right with the router config. I am probably not doing the port forwarding thing correctly. Can anyone help?

Have you forwarded the two ports to the computer you want to connect to? Where are you trying to connect from? Outside the network or from your second computer inside the network?

Direwolf20 said:
Have you forwarded the two ports to the computer you want to connect to? Where are you trying to connect from? Outside the network or from your second computer inside the network?
I’m trying to connect outside my LAN, across the internet. I don’t think I’m doing it right. Let’s say I want to connect on port 999. How would I set this up here:

linksys_wrt54g_portfwd.jpg

Give the customized port forwarder a name.

Then fill in the port range you want to use - in this case 999 - 999. Check the TCP/IP box. Then you need to fill in the IP address of the local machine you want to access. You'll have to assign a static ip address to that machine, otherwise when it reboots, you may get a different dynamic internal IP address (I am assuming you are using the linksys router as a dhcp server here).

I guess I also need to forward port 3389 per the instructions in that link.

Patrick - Correct, you need to forward both ports. From left to right, here is how you fill in the boxes.

999 - 999 - *Check* - *Check* - IP ending address - *Check*
3389 - 3389 - *Check* - *Check* - Same IP Address - *Check*

The "Ip ending address" is the ip address of the computer you are trying to connect TO (not from). So log onto the computer you just setup remote desktop on, and get the IP address. To do this, follow the instructions below:

Start -> Run -> Type "cmd" without the quotes and press enter- > type "ipconfig" and press enter.

You'll see your IP address, which will be 192.168.3.xxx - Take that xxx and type it into the box for IP address.

Direwolf20 said:
Patrick - Correct, you need to forward both ports. From left to right, here is how you fill in the boxes.

999 - 999 - *Check* - *Check* - IP ending address - *Check*
3389 - 3389 - *Check* - *Check* - Same IP Address - *Check*

The "Ip ending address" is the ip address of the computer you are trying to connect TO (not from). So log onto the computer you just setup remote desktop on, and get the IP address. To do this, follow the instructions below:

Start -> Run -> Type "cmd" without the quotes and press enter- > type "ipconfig" and press enter.

You'll see your IP address, which will be 192.168.3.xxx - Take that xxx and type it into the box for IP address.
Ok, I just called my wife at home to verify that I had those settings entered in the port forwarding screen, yet I still cannot connect. What else should I check?

More of the same :)
1. Assign a static IP to the target desktop
2. Make sure Remote Desktop is enabled on the target desktop
3. A user account with a password must be on the target desktop
4. Forward TCP Port 3389 to the ip address you assigned to the target desktop
5. Grab a cup of coffee for a job well done

Patrick G said:
Oh, and do I HAVE to have a name there under Customized Applications?
that is only for your own notes... helps if you are forwarding a lot of stuff every which way

first of all, since you are trying to connect from the WEB, you need to install microsft IIS from the control panel(add remove programs -> add/remove windows components) make sure you click on the details tab of iis, and the details tab of world wide web services and manually select "remote desk web connection." If you have already done that, then sorry for the extra info. you also need to FORWARD PORT 80, as well as port 3390 to your internal ip. You are essentially setting up a web server in this case. you may also need to install the remote web connection server software from microsofts site that can be found here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/rdwebconn.asp after all that is set up, to remotely connect from anywhere with interent explorer, you will just need to enter http://<your home internet ip>/tsweb a pop up will appear asking to install microsoft activex controls if it is not already installed when you are trying to remotely connect from the web. this must be done.

Man, I've got all that, and I still cannot connect. Here's a shot of my Port Forwarding page now:

linksys.jpg

is your xp firewall turned off?
(double click connection in network connections -> properties -> advanced -> uncheck "protect my computer blah blah blah")

atomic3 said:
is your xp firewall turned off?
(double click connection in network connections -> properties -> advanced -> uncheck "protect my computer blah blah blah")
Yep. At this point, I'm ready to Paypal someone some $$ to get this working.

1. Is the 192.168.1.2 setup correctly. Can you connect to its web server and remote desktop from Inside your network on another computer.. If yes, then the problem is with your router

2. Most linksys units won't port forward if you have its LAN DHCP option enabled. Look at the LAN side DHCP option, not on your WAN conection. If the linksys is giving out IP addresses to internal computers, shut off that option and try it again. This will affect your lan computers, as they will have to get IP information from another DHCP server or manually set.

j4zzee said:
1. Is the 192.168.1.2 setup correctly. Can you connect to its web server and remote desktop from Inside your network on another computer.. If yes, then the problem is with your router

I don't think it is. I bring my work laptop home and connect wirelessly to my router, open a browser window, enter 192.168.1.2, and I can't connect.

1. can you ping the 192.168.1.2 from another computer?
2. Can you launch the Remote Desktop connection from another computer to 192.168.1.2 and get a connection? the target computer(192.168.1.2) must have Remote Desktop enabled with a user account that has a password.
3. Can you launch the default website on 192.168.1.2 by entering http://localhost on that physical computer's Internet Explorer.. If this doesn't work IIS is not installed or configured correctly..

I would focus on one or the other first.. Remote Desktop or the Web Server and get one working and able to connect from another computer on you LAN..

PS.. your linksys model may not be affected by the DHCP port forward problems..? I downloaded the pdf and will look at it. so don't change your DHCP yet if you didn't

also your port forwarding page options look fine...

I use a linksys router and am able to port forward with dhcp enabled. that shouldnt be your problem. are you absolutely SURE your local ip is 192.168.1.2? also, are you sure you computer is able to receive remote connections? this option is under the remote tab in system properties. (control panel -> system -> remote) also, when trying to connect from internet explorer, are you including the /tsweb after the ip?

When I do an ipconfig, I get an ip address of 192.168.1.2

When I open IE on this machine (ip above), and type http://localhost, it gives me page cannot be displayed.

I know I have IIS installed because I just added it last night. Anyone willing to start at the beginning with me and go thru the settings?

DUDE, you gotta include /tsweb after the ip!!! meaning: http://localhost/tsweb!!!!

So the IP of the computer you are trying to connect to is 192.168.1.2?

Additionally if you use Remote Desktop Connection (Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communication) you should type the internal IP; 192.168.1.2 OR if you are outside of the network, the public IP. If you are using XP it should be installed already.

Make sure Remote Desktop Connection is enabled, by right-clicking "My Computer", and going to "Properties" and hit the "Remote" tab, and it should be enabled. Make sure the "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer", and users with Administrator access should be able to login with it; but if you need a non-Administrator, make sure you add them to the list.

Yes, I did use /tsweb, but I still cannot connect, neither inside my LAN nor outside.

Maybe try using the actual terminal services client rather than the web control. If your work PC is XP it's already installed and you just need to put your routers external IP address in. Yout won't even need port 80 forwarded.

Back