NEED HELP: Choosing the compnents!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Planettera

n00b
Joined
Nov 27, 2006
Messages
60
Hi Everyone.

I am goin to bulit a new PC and need some help choosing some of the componenets. It will be used mostly for video editing and gaming. I can't decide on two of the componenets, which video card and motherboard to use. I like to get the best one:

My Choices For Motherboard Are:

1) Asus P6TD Deluxe (Main reason is the PCI ports)
2) EVGA E758 3Way SLI (Main reason is the PCI ports)

My Choice For Video Cards:

1) BFG GeForce GTX 285 OCX 1GB
2) Sapphire HD5870 Cypress XT 1GB


Here is what I planned on getting:

1) Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 Case
2) Corsair 850HX Power Supply
3) Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield CPU
4) Cooler Master V8 CPU Cooler
5) 6GB or 12GB Corsair DDR TR3X6G1866C9DF DDR3 Memory
6) Two Seagate SE.2 500GB 7200RPM Hard Drives (Raid 1)
7) One Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 7200RPM Hard Drive (Data Back Up Only)
8) Creative Labs Platinum Fatal1ty Championship Sound Card
9) Two Plextor 24X PX-880SA DVD Drive
10) Linksys WMP54GS Wireless PCI Adapter
 
I have noticed that the 285GTX is 512-bit and the 5870 is 256-bit. Exactly what does this mean and to educate myself, how come a 256-bit GPU be better then a 512-bit card, both being 1GB.
 
I have noticed that the 285GTX is 512-bit and the 5870 is 256-bit. Exactly what does this mean and to educate myself, how come a 256-bit GPU be better then a 512-bit card, both being 1GB.

There is a lot to this, but the end point is the 5870 is the best single GPU video card out there. The other thing I see is ...

Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield CPU

If you have ANY desire to overclock, just get the i7-920 and save some money. I doubt you will find a single person here who has a 920 that won't easily hit 3.2 GHz with just a few setting changes.
 
Off course the 5870 does not have CUDA.

Does that matter to you?

I sold my GTX280s to get a single 5870. But I kept a GT9800 for Badaboom.

I miss my GTX280, but it was just too much power (as in too many watts) just for CUDA.
 
I have always been a Nvidia user and till recently never had planned to switching to ATI. Now that I get ATI recommended by almost everyone, I believe its time for a change. After all, I need a good video card for multi purpose use.

Also, it never past my mind to get the 920 and overclock it to hit the same speed as the 960. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. That will save a few hundred bucks.
 
As others have stated, 5870 and you can't go wrong. Just may have trouble finding one in stock.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top