Need help choosing a hardrive!

Wonroc

n00b
Joined
Feb 5, 2006
Messages
3
Need help choosing a hardrive!
My Sys=Pent D 920, Asus P5B mobo, 2 gig Patriot ram, X1900 vid card
I havent been able to keep up with all different types of hard drive connections and types.
Basically I want storage around 300gig. what would be the best/fastest/reliable and Latest drive choices for me?
 
My vote is on the Seagate 7200.10 320gig drive, although WD has a drive in that same exact category, not sure on the model but i'm guessing it'll be between these 2. Pretty sure they both have 5 year warrenties i'd probably go with what ever one you can get for cheapest.
 
the WD3200KS will only come with a 3 year warranty, vs 5 years for the Seagate. On the other hand, with WD you won't get to play the "do I get a quiet spindle" lottery.

I played the other day in Germany and won a nice, loud drive. :)
 
should I go "ide" or "sata" on this one. I see the Average Latency: 4.16ms are the same? What am I gaining by either?
 
definitely sata...preferably sataII although it wont really make a difference
 
should I go "ide" or "sata" on this one. I see the Average Latency: 4.16ms are the same? What am I gaining by either?

Unless you do not have a SATA port, I do not see a reason to purchase a PATA drive at this point in time.
 
I would go for the Sata or SataII either or isn't really going to matter much at all. Could wait for sataIII to come out in a few months though, but i think only enterprise drives and high stuff will use that, not even sure if the drives will use it might be more of just a interconnect speed increase for NAS devices.
 
I would go for the Sata or SataII either or isn't really going to matter much at all. Could wait for sataIII to come out in a few months though, but i think only enterprise drives and high stuff will use that, not even sure if the drives will use it might be more of just a interconnect speed increase for NAS devices.

Considering most drives (even the raptors) cannot even use SATA 150 (SATAI) fully, SATAII and SATAIII in months to come is just useless.
 
please go for SATA hdds.

i hate to handle the molex connector for IDE hdds as its always very tight. I always end up red fingers after changing hdds
 
Back
Top