• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need Expert Advice...

rgabel

n00b
Joined
Jul 19, 2004
Messages
10
Hey guys, I'm getting all the pieces together to build my UGM. I have a A8N32-SLI Asus board, the Corsair TWINX2048-3500LLPRO 2GB Kit that they recommend. The video cards are the "XFX GeForce 7800 GTX 512MB" I also have an X-FI sound card, but will need to make a decision if I can fit both video cards and the sound card, as the sound card sits about 1/8 of an inch in front of the top video card fan, and will cool the CPU with the Zalman CNPS9500.
My question to you guys is I want to do some light to medium overclocking and have 2 CPU's to choose from, FX-53 with the Clawhammer core ( 2.4 Stock, w/unlocked Multi. ) and the 3700+ ( 2.2 Stock ) with the SanDiego Core. Is one of these "Much" better than the other one or are they about the same.
I have not put the thing together yet because I'm still waiting on the case to show up.
Thanks
Rgabel
 
The A8N32-SLI Deluxe has three PCI slots... and it looks like you can get away with using the middle PCI slot. Having your soundcard there shouldn't impede the airflow of either one of your 7800GTXs (providing they are single-slot), as they still have some room to breathe.

If you want to do some overclocking, the San Diego 3700+ might be a better choice, as it offers more headroom than the FX chips, which already run at very high speeds for their class. Just so you know, the San Diego 4000+ is pretty much identical to the FX-53 (much cheaper), but is multiplier locked from 12x and above.

Just curious, what's powering the whole box, and what case will it all be in? It had better be something good! :cool:
 
Hey Korruption, The video cards are Double wide, I set all 3 cards in the slots and the X-FI just fits, I figured I will try it but keep an eye on the temp ( I hope there will be a utility on the cd to check the indivisual core and Mem temps ). For the Power Supply I went back and forth between the " SLI Ready: Turbo-Cool® 510 Express" or the "OCZ POWERSTREAM OCZ600ADJSLI- 600W POWER SUPPLY" I went with the Ocz because it has duel 12 volt rails. And for the case I ordered the "Silverstone TJ05" it has alot of room and has some good reviews for the cooling. I have been reading good things about the 3700+ and its overclocking potential, not as much info on the FX-53 though.
 
Before
885423before.jpg

After
868053after1.jpg


I have no idea what they were thinking not adding another PCI slot above the top video card...
 
If I could, I would slap the shit out of whoever designed that board.

Although my board would have nearly the same problem... it's not a SLI-D and it has the PCI slots under the PCI-E slots.
 
You actually are much more likely to get a higher oc out of the Sandy than the FX, simply b/c the FX is a Clawhammer. Heat alone will almost guarantee the 3700 to clock higher.
 
Thanks for the input guys, I forgot that the Clawhammer has a larger core (.13 ) as opposed to the SanDiego (.09 Think those are the right sizes ) which like you said wont get as hot.
But if I can change the Multi to 13 on the Claw and get 2.6, would it be the same if I change the HTT to 237 = 2607 on the Diego??
 
Point is, I've never seen a Clawhammer do more than 2.6, I have seen a sandy do that more than 2.6. Either way, even if they BOTH can hit exact same 2.6 clock, sandy is cheaper I'm sure. Right?
 
Price inst the issue as I have both sitting in front of me, The FX-53 came out of my old gaming Computer and my brother gave me the 3700+ as an early Christmas presant. I was just trying to figure out if one has more Overclocking potential than the other. Instead of doing all kinds of testing on one then changing the cpu just to do all the testing over again. Sounds like the Diego should be the one to use..
 
Sandy is more likely to oc better and if you would get A LOT more $ for the fx on ebay.
 
Borgschulze said:
If I could, I would slap the shit out of whoever designed that board.

Although my board would have nearly the same problem... it's not a SLI-D and it has the PCI slots under the PCI-E slots.
OMGF, that made me laugh... the imagery of a disgruntled overclocker bitch-slapping a poor taiwanese hardware engineer was just too much... lol
 
Oh damn, that's a tight fit. I can only assume one of the cards is going to be a little bit hotter than the other...
 
Yea I hope it works ok, or I will have to pull the sound card and use the onboard sound. I really dont want to do that, after having the X-FI on the system I have now is pretty amazing, during Battlefield 2 its like playing a whole new game with the X-Fi..
 
rgabel said:
Yea I hope it works ok, or I will have to pull the sound card and use the onboard sound. I really dont want to do that, after having the X-FI on the system I have now is pretty amazing, during Battlefield 2 its like playing a whole new game with the X-Fi..
Yeah... as much as I dislike Creative (I run Envy24), I don't think I could ever go back to onboard sound.
 
Back
Top