• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need budget Gaming headset.

Manaknight

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
5,446
so my creative fatal1ty professional set took a dump recently, i got it from that buy.com deal like 2 years ago, beat the hell out of it and finally finished it off, the cans are too difficult to bother opening to re-solder.

I am looking for a decent around ear comfy headset for gaming. I am looking at low cost vs sound quality mainly. I know that while you get what you pay for in a lot of cases, sometimes you can slip away with something better for less because it's rebranded/used etc.

I already have a pair of audiophile headphones for when i'm listening to music/watching hd, however those can get slightly uncomfy after extended periods (over 4 hours etc) and i would like something else for gaming (headset being included is a bonus, i move while i play and i also rarely wear stuff that lets me clip something like the zalman mic onto me.

I also have a z5500 set of speakers for when i do not need the headset, so not looking for a main replacement.

what i found so far from a quick search was the 15 dollar rosewill set on newegg. It looks to be a decentish rebrand for sound quality.

also they have the new version of the creative fatal1ty pro for 50, but they have had mixed reviews.

Any other suggestions at something to look at, trying to limit myself to around 50 bucks.
 
EDIT: That's what you get for posting without caffeine.
 
Last edited:
If you can find used beyerdynamic cans with velvet lining such as DT990 (these are open though) they are extremely comfortable and any cheap electret mic will do.

If you are set on getting a headset for gaming I would look at some older generation sennheiser headsets e.g. PC161 pitched against the original fatality headset here I had PC150 and it was good sound-wise, only the cups were too small for me, this was apparently improved in the later versions.

Or actually that new fatal1ty headset that you mentioned might be a very good buy for what it sells. There is a USB version, too (called Arena, no Fatality logo), includes a USB sound card and it looks better:

18979_1.png
 
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1462775

Dont know if you saw this yet. 49.99 shipped Razer barracuda HP-1 set. Everyone seems to think the mic isnt the best, but theres a mod for it on the forums somewhere. Altough others are saying the mic is just fine. Everyone seems to agree the sound is decent enough quality. The concensus from the thread so far is that for 50$ this is an excellent buy.

Yeah i dont know how to spell.
 
I would suggest getting a nice set of cans with a zalman clip on mic, this way you dont have to sacrifice sound quality
 
I just received my JVC HA-RX700. If you do a search here or on head-fi you'll see people consider them very high end yet they are very cheap ($35). I can confirm the sound quality and they are very comfortable to wear too. Add a mic as as suggested. For gaming if you want more bass you might want to try the RX900 too.
 
Back
Top