• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need bare metal image recommendations.

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Dec 18, 2010
Messages
9,778
I have a challenging customer that I am not sure how to meet the needs exactly.

They are currently using Acronis Backup Server and Workstation 2010.

Using incremental and Differental backups they tend to create 3-10GB daily images. However some days Acronis is making 120+ GB images. They do tons of photoshop work.

Now my question is simple. Is there a product other than Acronis that can do a deeper level of backup, byte or bit level, that only backups files that literally only change themselves and not just backup everything regardless. I have to get these backup file sizes smaller for sending over the web to an offsite location and all they have is a 10meg upload connection at the office and 6m at the remote destination.

I need backup software that will do full system images daily but can really reduce the size and not generate all sorts of redundant unneeded extra amounts of data.
Thanks a million.
 
Symantec Backup EXEC will do incremental backups (only files that have been changed/added/deleted) and full backups at your choosing. I believe that the new versions support compression which may help in your scenario.

I'd definitely look into it as it works very well for the applications I've personally used it for in business and university environments.
 
I've worked with R1Soft's CDP which might fit your criteria as well. The backups produced are capable of bare metal recovery to any point time (PITR). The software works at the block level so unless the systems being backed up generate a massive amount of daily changes, the amount of data backed up is minimal. I've backup some > 1.5TB systems and it has been working well. I think Backup Exec has an ability (maybe via a paid option??) to backup at the block level. For simple disaster recover having daily PITR points is great.
 
I had a similar problem with Acronis True Image Home. If you use the "file level" backup instead of the disk imaging backup, it keeps the incremental backup sizes much more under control. But then I don't think you get bare metal recovery, but you really only need that for the boot drive.

I don't know if any block-level backup is going to do much better than this unless it is also smart enough to look at file level information. For example if you load a file into Photoshop, only modify a few small things, then save it off again, the file itself may only have a few blocks difference from the original. But if it gets saved to a new location on disk, the block level backup will have to back up the whole thing again.
 
CDP is cool. I got a free demo im trialing now on a customer server. SO far so good.
 
Back
Top