Need Advice

LordofWar

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 10, 2012
Messages
494
I can't make up my mind weather I should get a Z77 board with a 3770k or an x79 board with a i7 3820 processor. I've read that the 3770k's have heat issues although it shouldn't matter too much since ill be water cooling either processor I go with, but is there anyone of you guys that maybe has played extensively with both setups and can give me some good advice on which I should go with.

I overclock my processors but not to the extreme so having the unlocked processor is not a convincing point for me since I figure I would be able to get the 3820 to around 4.5 at least. If I did go with the 3770k I would more then likely pick up a formula V board and if I went with the 3820 it seems that the sabertooth would be within my budget.

What do you guys recommend as farf as boards go?

Thanks.
 
I play a lot of video games, encode movies, some video editing nothing big small stuff and I do enjoy benchmarking after some overclocking to compare the free performace boosts.

In reality as far as my needs go I can even do with a 2500k and I would be good the thing is I want some pcie 3.0 compatibility just to be a bit more future ready sinced I do change video cards often. I know both chips would give me that and and money wise I'm surprise the x79 setup would be slightly cheaper which is why I'm stuck on which one to go with.
 
If the X79 is going to be cheaper, go with that. It will have a bit more upgrade potential with hexacore and future LGA2011 Ivy Bridge offerings.
 
Thanks for the reply DejaWiz. I guess your right its just that that formula board is so tempting and the 3770k is an an unlocked processor I was just kind of hoping someone with experience on both would chime in and tell me to pick one over the other.

The 3820 is 50 bucks cheaper then the 3770k at microcenter and with the formula board from asus it would cost more I can't really afford the rampage extreme for the x79 platform or rather don't want to shell out that much on a board although the formula board is still pretty expensive.
 
Back
Top