Need advice on wireless router

DarkSideA8

Gawd
New Question below... (Please see Post 7)

I'd like advice on a reasonably priced wireless router (with at least one ethernet port for a wired connection, and an encryptable signal) to connect one desktop & one laptop to the internet...

I've got a home office with DSL & a pregnant wife who is about to need the capacity to access the internet from home (while I'm working)... So we need a wireless router for her work laptop.

The internet connection & router location will be in the basement. The signal will need to carry through normal (i.e. not steel studs) home construction to enable her to connect from the first or second floor.

Two things I don't want to do:
1. Spend more than $100 (prefer less than $50)
2. Provide free internet service to my neighbors / others...​

Since I've never needed a wireless connection before, I'd appreciate any advice / suggestions from the smart guys / gals on this site.

TIA

Last edited:
Read the sticky

The internet connection & router location will be in the basement.
Unless she's in the basement too, this will not work out well most likely. If I had a $1 for every person that put their WAP in a bad place signal-wise I wouldn't need a job.

Last edited:
Matt, reread the post: Things he DOESN'T want to do - provide free internet for his neighbors

Darkside, I would do this: Pick up two cheap G routers and use them to connect to each other. You'll have good wireless signal from the basement to the first floor, and if you put the second on the top floor, you'll have good signal there as well. I'd recommend looking at something that can handle Tomato firmware (due to ease of use), and get something cheap but decent.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320023

That would probably suit you well, but you wont get USB support for connecting a network drive

Edit: Make the wireless signal WPA and change your default IP address (very simple), username & password, and you'll have all the security you'll need.

Last edited:
I'd like advice on a reasonably priced wireless router (with at least one ethernet port for a wired connection, and an encryptable signal) to connect one desktop & one laptop to the internet...

I've got a home office with DSL & a pregnant wife who is about to need the capacity to access the internet from home (while I'm working)... So we need a wireless router for her work laptop.

The internet connection & router location will be in the basement. The signal will need to carry through normal (i.e. not steel studs) home construction to enable her to connect from the first or second floor.

Two things I don't want to do:
1. Spend more than $100 (prefer less than $50)
2. Provide free internet service to my neighbors / others...​

Since I've never needed a wireless connection before, I'd appreciate any advice / suggestions from the smart guys / gals on this site.

TIA

Just a point but with proper WPA2 (and non-PSK) security your neighbors won't be getting free internet from you. I would not let the fear of sharing bother you, focus on having a strong and clear signal throughout your house and then implement proper security and you won't share shit with anyone!

Unless she's in the basement too, this will not work out well most likely. If I had a $1 for every person that put their WAP in a bad place signal-wise I wouldn't need a job.

There are a lot of variables involved, but you're quite likely to run into signal issues. If you can put the router in a better location, that will help a lot.

If you do put it in the basement, at least make sure the antennas are aimed properly. Most of the signal on a regular omnidirectional antenna goes out perpendicular to the antenna rod. If you have it in the basement with the antennas pointing straight up, most of your signal is going to be going directly sideways in the basement. If it has the jointed antennas, angling them up might make a noticeable difference (i.e. go from L to \_ so the signal travels up at an angle).

Thanks guys.

As InvisiBill & others suggested, I planned on orienting the antenna(s) either diagonally or horizontally to account for the elevation difference between the transmitter & laptop. Having spent quite a few years in the military I'm pretty familiar with the limitations of transmitting from a hole in the ground! ;)

This may seem pretty basic - but I'm not finding a good answer elsewhere, so I thought I might ask here;

My MOBO supports gigabit ethernet & I wonder if I should look for a gigabit ethernet / wireless modem & router combo - rather than just a wireless router...

AT&T is my ISP & they say they're providing me an up to 3.0 Mbps downstream (512kbps upstream). Is my internet experience being limited in any way by my current 10/100 DSL modem?

Thanks guys.

As InvisiBill & others suggested, I planned on orienting the antenna(s) either diagonally or horizontally to account for the elevation difference between the transmitter & laptop. Having spent quite a few years in the military I'm pretty familiar with the limitations of transmitting from a hole in the ground! ;)

This may seem pretty basic - but I'm not finding a good answer elsewhere, so I thought I might ask here;

My MOBO supports gigabit ethernet & I wonder if I should look for a gigabit ethernet / wireless modem & router combo - rather than just a wireless router...

AT&T is my ISP & they say they're providing me an up to 3.0 Mbps downstream (512kbps upstream). Is my internet experience being limited in any way by my current 10/100 DSL modem?
Why would you think a 10 or 100Mbps link would limit a 3Mbps link? Can we get just a little bit of reason here.

Do you have other PC's with gigabit NICs on your network that you will be transmitting large amounts of data on a regular basis to?

Thanks - you cleared up the confusion. I didn't realize 10/100 referred to Mbps. (I did write
DarkSideA8 said:
...This may seem pretty basic...
at least!)
:faceslap:

Back