• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need advice on computer parts

james111

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 11, 2005
Messages
202
My brother wants me to build him a computer setup but I'm not sure on all the parts.
He'll be using it mostly for video editing and a little bit of starcraft 2 gaming. I also have a few parts from my old rig that I would sell him to save him some cash.

He doesn't have a specific budget, but the best price / performance would be ideal.

These are the parts that I'm thinking of so far:

CPU: Intel Core i3 530

Motherboard: ???

Video Card: ATI 4850 512mb (this is from my old rig)

Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Music (this is from my old rig)

Ram: ???

Speakers: ???

Monitor: Dell U2410 24" 1920x1200 (this is from my old rig)

Hard Drive: Western Digital 640gb Black (this is from my old rig), I'm also thinking of a 32gb or 64gb SSD as a boot drive?

Case: ???

Power Supply: Corsair VX450

CPU Cooler: ???

Keyboard/Mouse: ???


Looking at all the parts and knowing that he'll be using it for video editing, what would you change / suggest?
 
The term "video editing" screams "quad core." Even one of the cheap $100 AMD quad core processors would benefit you in that area.

Aside from answering the questions in HG's link, how much were you going to sell your old parts for? And what's the hard, "I'm not going to spend a penny more than this" budget amount?
 
Back
Top