Need advice on a good pci-express or pci wireless card

georgec

n00b
Hi hardforum community
I recently built a desktop computer for someone and been having problems with obtaining stable and fast wireless connectivity to the person's Linksys WRT54GS router. I tried the TP-LINK TL-WN781ND but that only had 1 (sometimes maybe) 2 bar(s) of strength. I then tried the Asus PCE-N15 and after going through their newest drivers and the chipset, Realtek, drivers, it got a good signal at 4-5bars but the speedtest only yielded 1mbit on the downstream while other wireless devices on the network obtained 10mbit+ .

The system is up to the date with the latest firmware, is on Rogers cable, and runs Windows 7 Ultimate 64.

I've not tried, but is it possible that switching to only b/g mode on the adapter settings help have a stable speed? I'm not at the house to try at the moment but throwing my 2 cents out.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone would be so kind to recommend a good/stable wireless pci-express/pci card that'll work on Windows 7 64 (usb nics generate heat overtime and so I'm avoiding those). Thanks.

Sorry forgot to mention, that the TP link card has been returned and am stuck with the Asus PCE-N15 . The computer is located on the ground floor right below the router, which is located in the basement. The signal is strong with the Asus PCE-N15 but the speeds are terrible, locked at 1-1.5 mbit/s on the downstream. Thanks.

I've tried setting the wireless mode to /b /g only and it yielded a few extra megabits/s but still far away from the 16mbit/s obtained from the laptop and from my phone when I was over, doing speedtests.

I know you said PCI but there are two USB ones I highly recommend.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704045
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704135
I have the one with the antenna coming out. You can usually find it on sale for about $15. It is amazing and far better than any wireless adapter In have ever bought.

Thanks, I heard good things on the TP-LINK TL-WN722N . How long have you owned it if you don't me asking and does it get 'hot'. From the 1star comment on newegg, the common thing is it fails after a few months of usage.

Picked up two TP-LINK TL-ANT2405C, Indoor 5dBi Omni Directional Antenna and placed them away from the back to avoid interference, and the speeds are amazing (on par with the max obtained on cable internet). Thanks.

Back