Rasta_Cook
n00b
- Joined
- Nov 19, 2011
- Messages
- 20
Hi guys,
I need some advices... I need to replace my current monitors...
I am a freelance graphic designer, so i work from home on my computer all day. I am also a gamer. Currently i play Skyrim, BF3 , a little bit of League of legends and a bit of Starcraft 2. I play a decent amount of hours per week ( when i have time) and I do not play at a competitive level. I do not, or extremely rarely, watch movies on my computer (aside from youtube clips and little things like that )
I need monitors with VESA holes because i use a dual monitor arm. The thing is, i installed the monitor arm on my glass desk with a clamp. Doing this reduces the maximum weight that the monitor supports because normally it should have been installed some other way, but i cant due to my glass table. Anyways, the conclusion is that I need monitors that are somewhat LIGHTWEIGHT... the maximum weight per monitor should be around 8-10lbs, this does not include the weight of the stand obviously.
Also note, that i am looking for a monitor that is rather thin, this is explained in my monitor arm support documentation but basically, thick monitor have their center of gravity further away from the end of the mount's arm, and this reduces the maximum capacity of the arm... So a monitor that is 2inch (50mm) thick or less is ok, but as soon as it gets thicker the maximum weight drops progressively, so that at 4inch the monitor arm capacity is 2 times less, roughly.
The way i setup my monitors is I have my biggest one centered directly in front of me in landscape mode, this is my main working area and gaming screen. My secondary is on the side at an angle ( rougly 30-45 degree ) in portrait mode, this screen is used for my emails, for my music, or file browser etc, these sort of things tend to be always open so i have quick access to them...
Here are the monitors that i found could fit the bill :
A. 1x Samsung S24A850DW + 1x Samsung S22A650D : ~ 715$
B. 2x Samsung S24A650D : ~ 560$
C. 1x Samsung S24A650D + 1x Samsung S22A650D : ~ 515$
D. 2x LG IPS236 : ~460$
E. 1x LG IPS236 + 1x LG IPS226V : ~ 410$
I think option A is too expensive, not worth it?... but damn, that SA24850DW really looks awesome, the higher resolution is really practical for me, it sucks that most monitors are stuck in the "1080p / HIGH DEF " marketing bs...
Option B is more affordable, however, i have doubts about these monitors... its hard to find information on them, I think they use MVA or PVA technologie and this apparantly isnt as good for games, at least, on previous models... maybe this new generation are faster ? They are advertised at 8ms... Also, i dont know if 2 x 24 inch would be too big on my desk...
Option C i think would be better if i am to go with the samsung SA650 series, one 24in and a smaller secondary 22inch, that seems good... but the doubts about these monitors remain...
Option D and Option E are really affordable IMHO, i'm not sure if these are good monitors though, i dont know if 23inch would be better than the 22in version either,... I could also mix a samsung model with a LG model if you think this might be optimal, but for esthetic reason i wanted to avoid that, i'd rather have 2 monitors that look the same, but its not essential...
What do you guys think ?
I need some advices... I need to replace my current monitors...
I am a freelance graphic designer, so i work from home on my computer all day. I am also a gamer. Currently i play Skyrim, BF3 , a little bit of League of legends and a bit of Starcraft 2. I play a decent amount of hours per week ( when i have time) and I do not play at a competitive level. I do not, or extremely rarely, watch movies on my computer (aside from youtube clips and little things like that )
I need monitors with VESA holes because i use a dual monitor arm. The thing is, i installed the monitor arm on my glass desk with a clamp. Doing this reduces the maximum weight that the monitor supports because normally it should have been installed some other way, but i cant due to my glass table. Anyways, the conclusion is that I need monitors that are somewhat LIGHTWEIGHT... the maximum weight per monitor should be around 8-10lbs, this does not include the weight of the stand obviously.
Also note, that i am looking for a monitor that is rather thin, this is explained in my monitor arm support documentation but basically, thick monitor have their center of gravity further away from the end of the mount's arm, and this reduces the maximum capacity of the arm... So a monitor that is 2inch (50mm) thick or less is ok, but as soon as it gets thicker the maximum weight drops progressively, so that at 4inch the monitor arm capacity is 2 times less, roughly.
The way i setup my monitors is I have my biggest one centered directly in front of me in landscape mode, this is my main working area and gaming screen. My secondary is on the side at an angle ( rougly 30-45 degree ) in portrait mode, this screen is used for my emails, for my music, or file browser etc, these sort of things tend to be always open so i have quick access to them...
Here are the monitors that i found could fit the bill :
A. 1x Samsung S24A850DW + 1x Samsung S22A650D : ~ 715$
B. 2x Samsung S24A650D : ~ 560$
C. 1x Samsung S24A650D + 1x Samsung S22A650D : ~ 515$
D. 2x LG IPS236 : ~460$
E. 1x LG IPS236 + 1x LG IPS226V : ~ 410$
I think option A is too expensive, not worth it?... but damn, that SA24850DW really looks awesome, the higher resolution is really practical for me, it sucks that most monitors are stuck in the "1080p / HIGH DEF " marketing bs...
Option B is more affordable, however, i have doubts about these monitors... its hard to find information on them, I think they use MVA or PVA technologie and this apparantly isnt as good for games, at least, on previous models... maybe this new generation are faster ? They are advertised at 8ms... Also, i dont know if 2 x 24 inch would be too big on my desk...
Option C i think would be better if i am to go with the samsung SA650 series, one 24in and a smaller secondary 22inch, that seems good... but the doubts about these monitors remain...
Option D and Option E are really affordable IMHO, i'm not sure if these are good monitors though, i dont know if 23inch would be better than the 22in version either,... I could also mix a samsung model with a LG model if you think this might be optimal, but for esthetic reason i wanted to avoid that, i'd rather have 2 monitors that look the same, but its not essential...
What do you guys think ?
Last edited: