Need a wireless router with packet prioritization; any recommendations?

mkygod

Limp Gawd
I need a good router that has assignable packet prioritization with user defined ports and IP addresses.

The only two that I know of for consumers is the D-Link gaming router and the D-Link 108G MIMO router. Are there any better alternatives?

The gaming router is very expensive, would I be giving up much (besides gigabit) by getting the MIMO router?

Basically what I want to be able to do is download my torrents at full speed, all the while people in my house surf the web and game at a decent speed . Is this possible with these routers?

I found another router that has some form of packet prioritization, although they call it "traffic shaping" . TRENDNET TEW-611BRP

Anyone know if its any good? Its only about 75 dollars and theres a 40 dollar rebate for it.

It's not so much QoS or packet prioritization that kills the average home router from those P2P apps..it's the issue that those P2P programs deal with many MANY concurrent connections..and that overwhelms the little CPU and tiny bit of RAM that most home grade routers have.

On top of that...more and more ISPs are starting to drop P2P traffic in their QoS....so no matter what you have...it may not go faster for you if they squeeze it upstream.

Tim Higgins did an article on P2P apps with broadband routers recently.
http://www.tomsnetworking.com/2006/04/19/which_router_for_p2p/

Back