Need a router for home, but which one?

Glyphic

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey, I'm looking for just a 4-port router, preferrably with a hardware firewall. It's gonna replace this old linksys I have. I was looking into the Netgear-www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-122-120&depa=5
But I heard most ppl choose linksys, any input is helpful

Up until just about a week ago when I stood up my smoothie box here at home I was using a WGR614 from Netgear (V4 to be exact) with no problems to report except perhaps a bug with the newest (v5.0.2) firmware where DNS information wasn't being properly forwarded via the DHCP server, but that can be solved by simply keeping the slightly older version (4.04) or back-flashing, ymmv.

The best thing Linksys has going for them right now is the fact that they have been bought out by CISCO and in turn are using a Linux based OS on their routers, which tends to offer more advanced features than most; because Linksys opted for a Linux NOS it left a way open for modders out there to write their own variants which can offer more features, range expansion, etc. at perhaps only a marginal cost in stability.

Probably one of the most common Linksys picks is the WRT54G, which can be had for $59.99 ($49.99 after mail-in-rebate) from newegg at the link below:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-124-010&depa=0

Doesn't come with a print server, but whether you need that is up to you. =)

Without seeing your network it's hard to say if you'll be displeased with either, but for general SOHO use and even internet gaming, you're probably not going to notice a difference either way. For the money, if you need it, getting that Netgear with the embedded print server is a nice deal.

I'm a Linksys guy myself.

That's a really good deal on the WRT54G. $50 AR.

If you dont want to go wireless. I recommend the Linksys BEFSX41.

www.computergeeks.com

go check out the refurb DI-614+
its got an actual DSS-5+ heavy duty 5 port switch built in and wireless B.

they sell it for $30 refurb.

I paid over $90 for it new almolst 2 years ago and it still kicks butt :p

every NAT router has a 'firewall' built in, due to the nature of how nat works. here let me track down the little web-config emulator for the 614+. its really cool and lets you play with the thing as if you are on it.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-127-013&depa=0

I've been pleasantly surprised at my DI-604. Similar to the DI-614+, minus the wireless, couple bucks cheaper. Assuming the DI-614+ works the same as mine, you'll be pleased with either one.

Note: I've had some problems with the wired connections on a DI-624 (with wireless). Don't know if they have anything to do with the wireless component or not, but I've relegated it to access point use only. Something to consider, don't buy more than you'll use; it complicates things.

the DI-604+, as many say, is a very cheapened down router if you want to also use it as a network switch.
the DI-624+ has reliability issues.

Back