Need a recommendation for a dual band home-use AP

VanFanel89

2[H]4U
Gents,

I currently have a NetGear WNR3500L running Tomato acting as an access point. Unfortunately, I think it's crapping out on me... Currently, there are two WiFi security cameras streaming through it to a surveillance server 24/7, and even though it is in a central location in my condo, I get shit signal ~25 feet away (and that's after cranking up the wifi radio to 60mw).

Does anyone have a recommendation for a nice home-use AP that won't break the bank but also wont be shitty?

802.11n is a must, and dual SSID's would be nice too... dual band would be totally awesome but not that necessary (I still have some legacy hardware running on G...).

Thanks!

You can run the g devices on the same ssid as the n ones.
No real reason to bother with dual band at home.

Also UniFi get one.
It's what everyone recommends.
Every time someone asks about an AP.

Always.
Get.
UniFi.

If you want dual band get a pro. If you only want 2.4ghz get a regular unifi.

TP-Link WDR4300 or WDR3600 makes a great AP with OpenWRT (trunk), Atheros hardware and most likely newer than in the UniFi units.
//Danne

I decided to give the UniFi a try... got the cheapest one off Amazon... we'll see how it goes!

You can run the g devices on the same ssid as the n ones.
No real reason to bother with dual band at home.

Also UniFi get one.
It's what everyone recommends.
Every time someone asks about an AP.

Always.
Get.
UniFi.
If you ran a dedicated 2.4GHz and a dedicated 5GHz on the same SSID simultaneously, I would just see that as asking for problems.

Maybe not, I've never done it..... any experiences?

If you ran a dedicated 2.4GHz and a dedicated 5GHz on the same SSID simultaneously, I would just see that as asking for problems.

Maybe not, I've never done it..... any experiences?

Not a 2.5 and a 5Ghz just a single 2.5GHz, it wouldn't truly be a n only connection.
but you could still connect n devices and g devices on the same single network.

Back