Need a new router for home network; VPN preferred; wireless not required.

RavinDJ

Supreme [H]ardness
Need a new router for home network; VPN preferred; wireless not required. Right now I have a Netgear ProSafe VPN router. But, judging by the speeds below...

The Netgear can no longer handle my download bandwidth from the WAN port. I have Cablevision with SpeedBoost (SpeedBoost is $10 more per month) and I don't even get the full benefit of it.

What router do you recommend that has a fairly fast (100Mbps, I guess) WAN port? My max budget is $200.

Thanks!

-Lukas

Linksys/Cisco RVO series.
Built in PPTP VPN server
Also has an IPSec VPN setup with their QuickVPN software client..but IMO that stinks. The PPTP VPN is rock solid reliable.

Consider taking an old laptop and slapping a *nix distro on it like Endian, IPCop, or PFSense?

Linksys/Cisco RVO series.
Built in PPTP VPN server
Also has an IPSec VPN setup with their QuickVPN software client..but IMO that stinks. The PPTP VPN is rock solid reliable.

Consider taking an old laptop and slapping a *nix distro on it like Endian, IPCop, or PFSense?

I do have an old P3 with 256MB RAM and a 20GB HD. I'm sure that would suffice, right?

Which distro would you recommend then? It'd be my first install, so easy-of-use would be near the top if not THE top.

Most of those linux firewall distros are relatively easy to use, they are all web managed, its just a matter of what you want to accomplish with your router.

I'd recomend pfsense, probably my favourite firewall distro after untangle as its is so flexible and has a lot of extremely useful features.

I do have an old P3 with 256MB RAM and a 20GB HD. I'm sure that would suffice, right?

Which distro would you recommend then? It'd be my first install, so easy-of-use would be near the top if not THE top.

PFSense would run great on that. It's what I use at home on an old laptop.

to YeOldeStonecat, Can you use an old laptop as a firewall ? I mean what kind of additional network cards would work ? Just wondering coz i got an old p4 laptop here and i might is well give it some new use at a mates house.

Back