Need a great router for under $100.oo

J32P2006

Gawd
I need a great firewall/router that doesn't drop connections every day like I've seen people complaining about. I want to set it up and not have to always mess with it to get it working again.
I will be using it with two of my computers to connect to eachother and access the internet on the same IP. I think that's how I can do it anyway? Security is just as important as reliability.

I know Dlink and Linksys are very popular but what's better of the two ?

Also, I want the very best and newest version or even a better all around router?
Right now I have up to $100.oo to spend on one.

Thanks for your time,
J32P2006 :confused:

For under 100 bucks....of all the brands and models I've deployed, I've found the Linksys BEFSX41 to be the best in that price range.

Note the befsX41....NOT..I repeat...NOT..the befsR41.

And, equally important, use the 1.45.7 firmware..you can find it at Speedguide.Net or dslreports.com, as the shipping 1.50X and 1.51X versions are buggy, and the newer 1.52.x and up beta's are OK...but 1.45.7 is rock_solid.

If you can find an RV042, or RV082, or RV016 Linksys/Cisco on eBay for your price...snag that! Man they're awesome, and FAST. But you won't find one new under or even near 100 bucks.

Another kick ass router thats been proven as the the beloved Linksys WRT54G. It has wireless if and when you ever should need it and it can be flashed with 3rd party firmware and booster antennas.

Thanks guys for the suggestions,
Anyone know if some reviewers have labled a certain router "The Best", or at least close to the best.

I just don't want to get one and find that I should've bought another one.

J32P2006 said:
Thanks guys for the suggestions,
Anyone know if some reviewers have labled a certain router "The Best", or at least close to the best.

I just don't want to get one and find that I should've bought another one.

Depends on how you label "best" Best for one person could be crap to another persona *shrug*

Just really depends what you NEED to have and what would be NICE to have in your router.

By in large, for *best* all around consumer router, the Linksys WRT54g has taken home most of the trophies.

IceWind said:
Depends on how you label "best" Best for one person could be crap to another persona *shrug*

Just really depends what you NEED to have and what would be NICE to have in your router.

By in large, for *best* all around consumer router, the Linksys WRT54g has taken home most of the trophies.

So I can hook up coaxial and wireless ? Or is that router just fro wireless ?

J32P2006 said:
So I can hook up coaxial and wireless ? Or is that router just fro wireless ?

Uhhh coaxial? Thats all but been eliminated with Ethernet protocol if thats what you mean and yes, the Linksys does have a 4 port switch as well as wireless.

Sorry,stayed up too late last night. Ya, ethernet. I just wanted to make sure it was for wireless and non-wireless hookups.

Thanks

Do you think it would be worth the extra money to go with LINKSYS WRT54GS over the WRT54G?
I'm not really sure why it's more though. Maybe it's newer.

J32P2006 said:
Do you think it would be worth the extra money to go with LINKSYS WRT54GS over the WRT54G?
I'm not really sure why it's more though. Maybe it's newer.

NO! The speedbooster tech as i've explained over and over is not a proven nor reliable technology that is standardized by the wireless institute. Not only will you NEVER reach the advertised speeds, but it also causes havoc with other WAP's, unreliable wireless connections and makes WPA Radius impossible. We installed one of those POS at a rehibilitation clinic and for weeks that wireless continued to go up and down like a damn yoyo. We tried everything and finally ripped the router out with a basic model and it ran fine after that.

For under 100 bucks....of all the brands and models I've deployed, I've found the Linksys BEFSX41 to be the best in that price range.

I bought that router a long time ago and haven't had any problems with it. I must have just been lucky since I didn't do too much research about routers before picking it up.

WRT54G. Or, if you got the marbles, put together a low-end Pentium box and run IPCop or mon0wall.

Back