need a bit of home network advice

extrafuzzyllama

Limp Gawd
hi all my first time posting and am kinda new to home networking.

i have been using a linksys wrt54gl and a linksys workgroup 5 port switch but decided i should upgrade

i was looking into buying a netgear rangemax wndr3700 dual band wireless n gigabit router and maybe a procurve switch but not sure which model i have no idea if i should get a managed or unmanaged switch
i am pretty set on a procurve just not sure which exactly

i am trying to use gigabit to handle hd video streaming over to my wdtv live from my pc
i will scrap the wdtv live once the boxee box comes out and build myself a nas once i get all the hardware needed ready

i will be connecting my imac, pc, nas, xbox 360, ps3, and for now the wdtv live and soon the logitech revue and boxee box to the switch

well to get to the point i would like to know what my best option would be for a procurve switch and a gigabit router and if that netgear router i listed earlier is any good

i am trying to stay around $150 for a router and under $100 for a switch

also should i replace my cat5e cables with cat6 since i am upgrading my router and switch to gigbit?

i just listed all the things i plan on doing in my network so that someone can recommend if a unmanaged or managed switch would be better and router suggestions as well

thx for reading guys

Look at the router in my sig, it was $90 at staples and I can get 47-54MB/s with it consistently. I stream SD and 720p HD to multiple comps on my network simultaneously without a problem. If you do get a switch, make sure it supports 9K jumbo frames, so that all devices on it will get 60MB/s if your devices support it.

You know, as for the cabling, you may as well go with Cat6 from monoprice.com. It's only a few cents more than Cat5e per foot. However, if you already have Cat5e installed, save your money, it can do gigabit just as well as Cat6.

If you are streaming HD content to all of those systems at once, a managed switch may not be a bad idea, but if you are only doing HD content to a few of them, and unmanaged will be just fine.

Best of luck. ;)

thx for reply the procurve switches have jumbo frame support but i dont think the netgear WNDR3700 has jumbo frame support is that going to be a problem?

i will go with cat6 for peace of mind lol monoprice is the best

i will look more into switch procurve model to get

I recomend a netgear GS108 switch. its not completely managed, they call it "smart", but it has a basic web interface and some useful settings. 8 port and gigabit is around $90 if you find a sale. i have it hooked up to a WNR3500 router and its working out pretty good for the many things in the house that like an internet connection.

thx for reply but think i am set on the netgear wndr3700 and a procurve switch
i am not sure whether to buy a procurve 1400-8 or a 1810-8g

anyone have a 1810-8 port switch and are all the ports gigabit?

ok thank you then i will go with the 1810 over the 1400 procurve switch

Good call. I have a 1400-8 sitting on my desk at work and wish I had gone with the 1810 for the extra functionality. I have installed quite a few 1810-24s as core switches for small organizations and they work wonderfully.

Back