Need a bit of advise

bobyjo

Limp Gawd
I have Vista Home Premium on order, will be delivered tomorrow, I use the ASR feature in XP Pro a lot with both our systems.
Does the Home Premium have a feature such as this?
If not I am gonna return what I have purchased and exchange for which ever one has this feature.
I don't really want to have to purchase the top dog in Vista just to be able to use this feature.
If you can help me please give what advise that you can.

Surely I am not the only guy that utilizes the ASR feature in XP Pro, am I?

This is such a super feature that I would think a lot of people would be using it.

www.microsoft.com/vista the differences between versions is there.

I see this.

I do know that ASR does use shadow backup process.
Since the only versions that has this feature is business and ultimate.
I suppose that the version I ordered does not have access to this feature?

I am asking if the version I ordered has some form of backup that would be somewhat simular as ASR?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and ask: why do you use ASR so much, apparently? I can't for the life of me think why someone would use it nearly as often as you're seeming to imply but, just for the sake of answering your question, Vista does have System Restore which would automagically mean it has ASR as well, as noted in the following quote:

"System Restore

System Restore was introduced in Windows XP to enable people to restore their computers to an earlier state without losing data (for example, Microsoft Office Word documents, graphics files, or e-mail messages). You don't have to worry about taking periodic system snapshots—System Restore automatically creates easily identifiable restore points. You can also manually create and name restore points at any time."

Quote taken from the bottom of this page, which also covers a lot of info about data backups with Vista:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/details/backup.mspx

The Windows Vista Product Guide offers a lot more tangible and useful information than most websites do, even Microsoft's own pages. Get it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...bf-4823-4a12-afe1-5b40b2ad3725&DisplayLang=en

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and ask: why do you use ASR so much, apparently? I can't for the life of me think why someone would use it nearly as often as you're seeming to imply but, just for the sake of answering your question, Vista does have System Restore which would automagically mean it has ASR as well, as noted in the following quote:

"System Restore

System Restore was introduced in Windows XP to enable people to restore their computers to an earlier state without losing data (for example, Microsoft Office Word documents, graphics files, or e-mail messages). You don't have to worry about taking periodic system snapshots—System Restore automatically creates easily identifiable restore points. You can also manually create and name restore points at any time."

Quote taken from the bottom of this page, which also covers a lot of info about data backups with Vista:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/details/backup.mspx

The Windows Vista Product Guide offers a lot more tangible and useful information than most websites do, even Microsoft's own pages. Get it here:

I use ASR maybe a couple times a year.
Just to have a fresh install of the OS and still keep all the hardware, software installed as when the ASR was done.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...bf-4823-4a12-afe1-5b40b2ad3725&DisplayLang=en

use ASR maybe a couple times a year.
Just to have a fresh install of the OS and still keep all the hardware, software installed as when the ASR was done.

This is only when something happens that would arise from a virus, etc.
Takes 30min to clean the partition and get back where you were.
I do an ASR about one time a month, just so the Backup will contain emails, etcl

I do the restore a couple times a year, I keep the backup file pretty much up to date.

I figured as much. I simply don't trust Windows to do that "restore" stuff myself, I use True Image to make full backups on an almost daily basis with a small system partition so it takes almost no time at all. If I get sick of things I can start totally fresh with a clean install in 5 mins...

Good practice, though.

Back