need a a good spy/adware detector and destroyer

zombix

[H]ard|Gawd
Im going to buy nod 32 soon and was wodnering what good spy/adware programs to choose from that gets the job done on destroying that garbage.

The name sounds corny..but I've been using it for the past several months..and it's cleaned up "hard to get" stuff that the old standbys of Spybot, Adaware, Ewido, have been unable to budge...

http://www.superantispyware.com/

Came out last winter or so...the guy's made a goal of making a very solid tool that gets the "hard to get rid of" ones.

That's a good one too...I've just used the above one with so much more success than others. I have many diff ones on my USB thumb drive "bag of tricks". Lately I've pretty much just gone to using SuperAS lately...cuz it gets the job done.

SpySweeper was pretty decent for removal..but turn it off after that..the real time protection makes your PC glacially slow.

ok now i need just 2 questions answered before i go out and get nod 32 i was wondering if it included a firewall with the $39 version?

And i noticed it has virus removal tools as a link does nod 32 not get rid of virus's and trojans etc.. just detects them?

Also hows avast! compared to nod 32?

NOD32 does not currently include a firewall...upcoming version 3 (soon) will have that option.

Yes it will remove the bad stuff. It has special removal tools for download just like many other antivirus sites.

It is superior to Avast... stronger in detection, MUCH lighter, more frequent updates.

YeOldeStonecat said:
NOD32 does not currently include a firewall...upcoming version 3 (soon) will have that option.

Yes it will remove the bad stuff. It has special removal tools for download just like many other antivirus sites.

It is superior to Avast... stronger in detection, MUCH lighter, more frequent updates.

Hmm, can you provide proof please, especially about the stronger detection?
I receive updates to Avast about every day, sometimes more than once a day!

NOD32 is third rate compared to Kaspersky. Kaspersky picks up 99% of malware. It does a better job at picking up new virii and I've yet to get a virus under its protection. Oh, and it's small :)

I use NOD32 and I love it. Very lightweight compared to Mcafee and Symantec. I cant speak of its removal, because I havent had any issues since I installed it.

For spyware I use to load spysweeper on clients machines as it was cheap(I was paying like 10 bucks a seat) and was one of the best. In the last few months I've been using spyware doctor instead. So far it has shown the best dection rate although it does slow down the system on startup. After the system fully boots up it seems to be fine though. We have been so impressed with it in fact we are starting to use it on cleints networks via the enterprise edition to cover every machine on their networks. Pretty much we run it and symantec av. In the past we had just used symantec av accross the network and just loaded consumer copies of spyware doctor on machines as people would trash them with spyware. So far it has worked wonders.

iSkylla said:
NOD32 is third rate compared to Kaspersky. Kaspersky picks up 99% of malware. It does a better job at picking up new virii and I've yet to get a virus under its protection. Oh, and it's small :)

Third rate is a bet of a stretch. According to AV-Comparitives, Kaspersky picks up 99.7% of malware with an on-demand scan, whereas Nod32 picks up 99.3%. Those are averages, also, so the individual tests vary.

With the Retrospective/Proactive tests,however, NOD32 blows Kaspersky out of the water at 58% (#1 among all av software compared) to Kaspersky's 24%.

Those tests and results are available here.

Also, I know I read an article not to long ago that pointed how that scans comparing all the AV software with "advanced heuristics" turned on showed that NOD32 was definitely up near the top. I can't remember where Kaspersky was, but NOD32 is one of the best. I'm trying to find that article now...

As far not getting a virus since you've had Kaspersky, I can say the same thing for NOD32.

drdeutsch

EDIT: Found the article here. I'm not sure if their methodology can be trusted, as NOD32 doesn't perform up to par with AV-Comparitives in the regular scan, but it leads the pack in heuristic scans whereas Kaspersky doesn't even place.

thanks guys for all the helpful feed back i went ahead and got the trial of nod 32 is it any different from the upgraded version? Like will i still get up to date updates just like the upgraded version?

And how do i set it up to scan email?

thanks again for all the help ful info.

Btw sorry about all the noob q's towards nod :p

If you want it to scan your email, you'll want to activate the IMON - Internet Monitor, which should be enabled by default.

I'm not sure if that works in Hotmail/Yahoo and such. I use Mozilla Thunderbird and I know it scans the emails when I click on them and download the actual body.

If you use Outlook, it also has an EMON - Microsoft Outlook Monitor. I've disabled it because I don't use it, but if you do, that will be what you want.

Back